Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ron Powers Grand Master PPC S&W model 10

Doc Neeley

I came across a very cool revolver made by Ron Powers. From the little I can find out these guns were for PPC. Are they still legal? What's a fair value to pay. Nice gun with the most amazing trigger I've ever seen. The only reason he's selling is he has 2 of them. Thanks Guru's.

Edited by Doc Neeley

yes they are legal. For USPSA competition they tend to be heavy which can be hard on big transitions you also would need to either feed it with speed loaders or have it cut for moon clips, and it will want to be fed minor power factor ammo, so probably not the most competative rig available. all that said I still want a nice old PPC revolver one of these days.

Mike

They are great for the Metallic sight class in NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi). Also, the NRA is starting to allow civilians to shoot PPC in their own civilian division. It's hard to beat a Ron Power Grand Master gun. I worked with Ron a little when he was in Independence, MO. He is a great down to earth guy who really knows how to build a revolver. In nice condition a used one should be around $900 to $1000. A worn one that still shoots good, maybe $750. These are just ballpark numbers, there are many variables as with any used gun. The bottom line is always "how well does it shoot at 50 yards", new or used.

Edited by Toolguy

They are great for the Metallic sight class in NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi). Also, the NRA is starting to allow civilians to shoot PPC in their own civilian division. It's hard to beat a Ron Power Grand Master gun. I worked with Ron a little when he was in Independence, MO. He is a great down to earth guy who really knows how to build a revolver. In nice condition a used one should be around $900 to $1000. A worn one that still shoots good, maybe $750. These are just ballpark numbers, there are many variables as with any used gun. The bottom line is always "how well does it shoot at 50 yards", new or used.

That's interesting re: 50 yds because the front sight has settings for 7, 25, and 50 yds. Thanks for the reply.

I'm a sucker for an accurate revolver, and had a hankerin' for a good PPC revo, eventually buying a mint Bill Davis-built revo from the original owner. It locks up like a vault, and has a very smooth action, as you'd expect. Once at the range, though, I was surprised - with a 6 o'clock hold on an NRA bulleye-type target, it shoots way low. Not ammo related (chrono'd, and hits to POA in my other revos). Then it dawned on me: PPC veterans tell me they'll maintain a neck hold, so I'm betting PPC sights are set for it. I couldn't the sights (has the adjustable front, too) enough to get in the black. Seems it'd be a real issue if you're gonna use the gun for anything that uses something other than PPC targets.

As far as value, there's not much demand for them, so PPC revolvers tend to sell at pretty good prices for what they are. Good for buyers, not so good for sellers.

Tom