Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Along the same lines as the "Are you ready" thread....

GrumpyOne

What safety infraction are you warning him about? The shooter has done nothing wrong, therefore a warning is not in order...

No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course of fire, except that any Range Officer assigned to a stage may issue safety warnings to a competitor at any time. Such warnings will not be grounds for the competitor to be awarded a reshoot.

I think this qualifies as a safety warning:

"Hey Grumpy, JimBob is going to go downrange and reset that popper. How about keeping your hands off the gun until he gets back."

Would that warning suffice if I did not speak or understand English?

There are shooters that shoot matches that do not speak or understand any English, other than the range commands.

If the shooter does not understand any English other than the basic range commands, then I would have his interpreter come forward. He must have one or he couldn't have received a proper stage briefing.

If they only understand the range commands in English, how are you going to have them put their hands on the top of their heads, face down range or uprange, tell them that they haven't done anything wrong and that the range needed to be reset, etc?

I just have not seen a problem, of course I only shoot in the US (NJ really is a part of the US)

Jeeez. STOP! Unload and Show Clear! Hammer Down and Holster! Fix the steel or problem. Sometimes a little common sense prevails. The RO is in control. Not every word the RO utters has to be in the rule book.

I agree with others--Hands up sucks. Tell me to put my arms up for 5- 10 minutes -ain't getting it.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's going to take 10 minutes to reset the popper, I'd probably want to ULSC, then restart. I put my hands on my head, fingers interlaced. The RO may know I'm safe but the person resetting the target probably doesn't know me, so it's just to make the person going downrange a little more comfortable.

I just tell the shooter to "stand easy we have a popper down" and stand beside them until the problem is corrected.

Almost always they take the time to relax a bit, and think about their run they are preparing to make.

But that is just me.

that's about what I do. I usually add "please dont touch your gun" or something along that line, mainly so a pretend draw doesn't make the person downrange nervous.

most of the time, the shooters put their hands on their head, but not at my direction.

-rvb

ps. I've not had the situation occur when the competitor didn't understand english. If a communcation barrier existed, I'd just play it safe and go through unload commands...

Edited by rvb