Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing 300 Win Mag Problem

triggerhound

First a little background:

I've been reloading for a few years now (9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 223 Rem, and 308 Win), but am relatively new to large caliber and magnum reloading. I have had no difficulty reloading 223 and 308 using Hornady Case Lube. I typically spray one side of the cases roll them 180 degrees and spray the other side. Never had a problem. Recently I've started reloading 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Both of these obviously have longer cases than 223 and 308.

Now the problem:

I have now ruined two resizing dies (one in 30-06 and the other in 300 Win Mag) due to cases getting stuck in my resizing dies. I'm assuming that its because I'm not lubricating the dies properly? Should I be using a lubrication pad instead for these larger and longer cases? Or would covering each case with the Hornady spay stuff do the trick? What do most other reloaders do for these larger cases?

Also can anyone tell me how I might salvage my dies? Is there a way to get the stuck cases out of the dies? The rim of the cases have been sheered off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, your dies aren't ruined.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131002/hornady-stuck-case-remover

You can also make your own by picking up a 1/4-20 tap and the appropriate sized drill bit. Then use a socket for the cup thing. Also, a washer and a 1/4-20 bolt would be helpful.

Second of all, get some *real* case lube.

Some use Imperial Sizing Wax, I use Hornady Unique Case Lube. Either should work fine.

Edited by a.roberts

I haved sized thousands of 223,308, 300WM and 6.5-284 with dillon lube. Find yourself a largle plastic pickle or bumble gum jar, dump in 100-200 (depending on caliber), couple squirts of case lube. Hold the jar horizontally and move it rapidly in a circle so the cases roll around each other and the walls of the jar. I usally tumble after sizing in non treated corn cob media to remove lube.

Mildot

• 6 months later...

I eventually decided to try to make my own case lube solution from alcohol and lanoline. I found a very simple recipe on the web and, given the price savings, decided to give it a try. The results have been outstanding. A fraction of the price and its works as well, if not better, than anything else I've tried. I did also figure out that you just have to be much more liberal with the lubricant on larger cases. Works like a champ.

I Know This Topic Is Old, But I Had The Same Problem You Did Using Hornady One Shot. I Continually Had Stuck Cases And Problems Sizing Cases. I Followed Many Peoples Advice And Tried The Imperial Sizing Wax, And Not Only Did It Work Great, There Is A Huge Cost Savings.