Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 FS, Glock 34 muzzle flip/recoil

MP9

Hi guys...

I have a m&p9 FS (apex kit installed)and I have been more into the game idpa/uspsa ( SSP expert) .. I was thinking about getting a glock 34 because sometimes I feel a better grip with my glock 19 gen4.

but the thing is today I rented a glock34 gen3.. shoot it side by side with my m&p FS (they didnt have the mp pro for rent) , I shoot factory ammo 115 and 124 gr.. and really I didnt feel any big difference in muzzle flip/recoil for a better sight acquisition during rapid fire. maybe the m&p is just a little bit more snappy but not that much for expend 600+ in a g34.

I know recoil is something subjective but I would like to know your thoughts. maybe it is just me.

the next think I would like is install FO sights and shoot reloads..

thanks

I have all the guns you mentioned including a pro. I think the ones with the longer slides "seem" to flip higher. I haven't been at this very long but I believe it's because of the increased length. I don't think the gun is recoiling more but it seems like it because you have more hanging out there. I have become to appreciate the extended sight radius the long slides give you. Hope this helps, someone with more knowledge will be along shortly I'm sure.

thanks guys, I appreciate it.

in the other hand I have been reading about recoil springs.. but, how far can I go using the factory R/spring?

i would like to shoot 147 gr of a friend at idpa, I know he do good reloads, a lot of people use it and 0 complain. not sure what PF yet, but I know these are a "soft load".. today I shoot some 135gr of other friend, it was a very soft shoot. but do I need to replace the the R/S? I shoot more idpa than uspsa (twice a month uspsa )

I have read one should change the RS if you are shooting reloads with less power than factory loads and I have read you dont have to change the R/S in the m&p unless you get trouble like returning to battery,etc..

and for example if I shoot 147gr and feel less recoil/muzzle flip with factory spring.. if I change the recoil spring ,would I feel even less muzzle flip? or i would not feel any difference unless I go with minor pf ?

thanks

thanks guys, I appreciate it.

in the other hand I have been reading about recoil springs.. but, how far can I go using the factory R/spring?

i would like to shoot 147 gr of a friend at idpa, I know he do good reloads, a lot of people use it and 0 complain. not sure what PF yet, but I know these are a "soft load".. today I shoot some 135gr of other friend, it was a very soft shoot. but do I need to replace the the R/S? I shoot more idpa than uspsa (twice a month uspsa )

I have read one should change the RS if you are shooting reloads with less power than factory loads and I have read you dont have to change the R/S in the m&p unless you get trouble like returning to battery,etc..

and for example if I shoot 147gr and feel less recoil/muzzle flip with factory spring.. if I change the recoil spring ,would I feel even less muzzle flip? or i would not feel any difference unless I go with minor pf ?

thanks

As long as the slide ejects and chambers a round there's NO need to mess with the RS.

I think that when people have developed a load so weak that they HAVE to use a super light recoil spring, cut their striker spring and HAVE to use soft primers to light their ammo they are not playing fair. :ph34r:

MOST shooters are shooting to have fun.

SOME people feel the need to CHEAT and not play by the rules.

:sight:

If you look thru the past posts and you'll find that Dan Burwell (noted M&P gunsmith and top level shooter) has recommended against lighter RS. I see no reason to question Dan's recommendation. He's tuned one of my guns and it's amazing. (Too bad I'm not good enough make use of it's potential.) :roflol:

Developing a load that is light enough that it does reliably cycle the gun with a factory recoil spring isnt cheaping if it makes power factor. With my m&p pro shooting 147gr with titegroup would sometimes not cycle the slide far enought to eject and strip the next round propperly causing problems. Lighter rs and now no problems. Considering that my load is close to a 135ish pf, Ill bet that Ive got a higher pf then most cheap off the shelf 115gr ammo.

When it come to a plastic pistol I love by m&ps, with that being said between m&p, glock, and xds I dont think any one platform really offers any advantage over the other. Shoot the one that feels most natual in your hand.

If your looking for production gun to help control muzzle flip everyone tells me the cz75 sp-01 is the way to go. Not sure if its idpa legal though.

SOME people feel the need to CHEAT and not play by the rules.

It's not cheating. Changing the recoil spring is a legal modification and will have a significant effect on the pistol's handling.

Yes, you are correct.

I used too broad of brush on my comment.

As long it makes PF it's a legal modification.

But I have seen rounds that barely cycle the action that don't make PF.

Steve

Edited by LikesToShoot

I shoot Atlanta arms 147 grain, which made 134 pf out of my m&p pro. It cycles the gun with the stack recoil spring.

I changed the recoil spring to a 15 lb to speed up the feel of the gun. With the stock spring the slide felt slow and the muzzle would dip noticibly as the slide came into battery. This resulted in second shots going low unless i was conscious of returning the muzzle up.

With the 15 lb spring the feel has smoothed out, I no longer feel the muzzle dip. The gun returns better to point of aim for me.

I also tried a 13lb spring but that changed the feel more than I wanted.

Buy whatever points more naturally for you and shoot it for a year. At this point you don't know what you don't know so to speak. After a season you'll gained the experience to at least have a better idea of what you want. I would at least stick to the 5" guns though. They are more suited for the game due to their longer sight radius. As Merlin said once you master your Kung Fu grip you wont really notice "muzzle flip" and probably just notice how fast your sights do or do not recover. Keep them stock, shoot the snot out of the them and then chop cut and change to your hearts content. Nothing will make you not want to shoot more than a gun that doesn't run. I prefer the M&P but that's just personal preference. I shot mine for awhile before I made any changes. That's the advice I was given and it's worked great for me. Good luck.