Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new guy - same old problems

Efishant

Hey, I've only been shooting a couple months. I'm shooting 45 single stack....well, I'm cheating a little.... I bought some ten round mags so I can miss some steel without having to reload all the time. Anyway, I've been through a myriad of problems with the gun. First the mags wouldn't seat when they were fully loaded. Then they wouldn't drop properly. Then the gun was locking open. Maybe my grip was bad....maybe I was hitting the slide lock with my thumb....not sure. Anyway, the guys at Pine Tree have been very helpful. A couple of guys in particular have really taken me under their wing. One guy did a trigger job for me....another guy gave me a Dillon 1050 to borrow because he couldn't stand me shooting box ammo! So, now the gun is stopping sometimes.....maybe cause I'm trying to shoot too fast and not allowing the trigger to reset. Man it's been fun but frustrating. Finally, I gotta say I have never encountered a nicer bunch of guys. I can't wait to get to the point where the gun runs reliably.

I bought a Smith & Wesson E series 45.

I had a trigger job done by a friend....ed brown extended mag release....changed mainspring and recoil spring....disabled beaver tail safety.

My mentor thinks a lot of my problems were the result of my grip changing as I shoot. Anyway, trying eliminate all the variables. I hope the reality is not that the gun just ain't up to the task! Ha!

Edited by Efishant

Welcome to the sport! :cheers: When starting off, there are many factors to the game to iron out. What do I shoot? What division should I shoot in? What ammo should I shoot? What gear, etc... The list is nearly endless.

It goes without saying that safety on the range and in the reloading room are the most important factors. Next (IMHO), come a reliable gun and ammunition and then a safe rig to carry it all. Then there's all that stuff about hitting the target... :devil:

Though it's hard, I'd resist the tempation to change many factors at once. You've got a new gun, going from factory to reloaded ammo and then work done on the gun and you've had reliability issues all along that sound like they are still undiagnosed. However, it sounds like you are on your way with good mentors and advice.

Note that those 10-rnd magazines and your single stack gun comply with the Limited-10 division just fine - you would not be cheating at all.

Edited by lumpygravy

another guy gave me a Dillon 1050 to borrow because he couldn't stand me shooting box ammo

I need more friends like that! :surprise:

Try some 8rd mags (Wilson ETM and Metalform work well) and see your slide lock issues go away.

Welcome to the club.

Edited by blind bat