Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool Less Guide Rod Question

Panic Flinch

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone has an answer to this question. Is the Dawson Precision tool less guide rod compatible with my STI 2011 Brazos Pro SX 38 Supercomp racegun. Looks to be a 4 1/4" barrel including the chamber and is currently using the guide rod that needs to be taken out with paperclip. If you are familiar...which spring should I purchase with it...they don't sell them with springs and I noticed they have various types of recoil springs. I will be shooting 170 power factor. I just don't want to purchase the wrong items. Thanks for any advice and sorry for the noob question.

Regards,

G

I'm not a smith but I don't see why you couldn't use one besides the guide rod sticking out the front and making sure that it has enough clearance with the bottom of the comp.

I experimented with 9-12 lb Wolff commander length springs with my SX. I settled on the 11 lb to keep the slide to frame battering down to a minimum. The 12 lb spring felt real close to the recoil master that Bob ships with the SX.

I replaced the stock guide rod and plug on my Brazos SC open gun with the Dawson TGR. I had to use the Dawson plug as the thing would not work with the Brazos plug. I have had it in for thousands of rounds and there have been no issues. It is really nice to take the gun apart now. Since mine is a full size and yours is shorter, there could be some difference but I would think it should work as well.

It'll almost certainly work, but I don't think the Dawson plug will fit. You could have a custom plug made with the little ring that engages the Tool-less mechanism, or you can just wing it with the plug you have now and be gentle during disassembly (this is what I'm doing now on my gun for a different reason).