Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Needed for 3Gun - BEGINNER

smarcus3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be hella nice. It would be sweet to get a discount on the scope too.

3gun people tend to like the newest and best scopes, and I'd be willing to bet many a good deal on their old scopes could be had if you keep a good watch in the classified's.

You got that right! At least whatever the new flavor of the day is.

That would be hella nice. It would be sweet to get a discount on the scope too.

3gun people tend to like the newest and best scopes, and I'd be willing to bet many a good deal on their old scopes could be had if you keep a good watch in the classified's.

You got that right! At least whatever the new flavor of the day is.

Sounds the same as with any sport. Everyone wants the newest stuff.

Don't get hung up on the dust cover thing, have one or don't, it's not a big deal. My thing is, ever see a 12g semi auto shotgun with a dust cover? Shot in a lot of dusty places and never found it a problem. But as before, don't get hung up here. In my view, which is worth what you paid for it... VLTOR is making one of the very best uppers on the market. They offer both, with and without dust cover. Palmetto State Armory makes a nice lower at a very good price. Anything JP is excellent quality. As you will see, many a good deal to be found on the classified's here.

Tar

Okay. Its like $30 bucks difference to get it, so I'll probably just get it to be safe.

Sleepswithdogs, thanks for all the replies.

No prob.

Barrel, sites/scope/scope mount, trigger, trigger, trigger... These are things to get down with. No matter how good the rifle, a poor trigger will make it shoot poorly. A slight error in machining will render an upper a disaster.

JP carriers, bolts, and IMO barrels are some of the best made. Of course, this is only my opinion. There are some people on this forum who are some of the best 3 gunners on the planet.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thanks. It took a while but I am so appreciative of all your guys help. It made it more difficult with the information but I feel more informed. :)

I can't wait to compete for the first time even if I am super slow and finish last. I will still have a blast.

Wouldn't worry about speed, speed comes with practice. Most likely, the faster you try and go, the slower you will end up.

The only thing to be concerned about first time out is safety. You only get one chance to make a good impression, and safe weapon handling is the only way to make a good impression. People don't care if you the fastest gun in the world if your not a safe shooter.

Have fun, be safe, you will have the time of your life!

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Wouldn't worry about speed, speed comes with practice. Most likely, the faster you try and go, the slower you will end up.

The only thing to be concerned about first time out is safety. You only get one chance to make a good impression, and safe weapon handling is the only way to make a good impression. People don't care if you the fastest gun in the world if your not a safe shooter.

Have fun, be safe, you will have the time of your life!

Tar

I completely agree. That mindset has be ground into my from when I was just old enough to fire a gun. I would much rather be safe than sorry. Same thing goes for when I hunt. I saw over dove hunters shoot very low to get a dove. While I love to get them too, shooting a human is never worth getting a dove or anything for that matter.

I'm thinking if your a good dove hunter, you have the makings of a good 3 gunner. Shotgun bird hunting/skeet/sporting clay, and AR shooting are actually quite similar in many ways. Most of the top 3 gunners hold their ar's like the sporting clay/skeet people hold there shotguns. It's not a very natural hold at least from my perspective (which is 3 position rifle background), but it works extremely well.

Can't wait to here how it goes.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ya, took me quite a while and a very good skeet shooter to teach me to move my front hand out. But once I learned to do it I saw a large and immediate improvement in my shooting.

SC, lots of fun, love it, look forward to shooting some more skeet, and/or sc league when I get a chance. 410 is my favorite caliber, but also like 28g a lot. Been known to shoot .410 for skeet league where any caliber/gauge can be used. Just like shooting the little gun. Lets you see your mistakes very quickly.

Your going to have a lot of fun shooting 3 gun!

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Another question, What size AR mags are common? Are 20 rounders good enough or 30? I ask bc the 20 rounders are a third of the cost.

Yes 20, 30, 40, 48 and 60.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

For my first set of mags. Which sizes would you get. A few 20s and 2 30s?

For a beginner, should I get some type of mag holder or just use my pockets? If so can you recommend one?

I'd stick with the 30 pmag's, you can add a Nordic extension and turn them into 48 rounders. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/819072/nordic-components-magazine-extension-18-round-fits-pmag-magazines-polymer-black

The 20 are more used to accommodate a difficult shooting position or specialty round for some reason like a very long range target where you want to use longer/heavier bullets and that way you don't have to think, "now which mag did I put those in???" There in the short one!!!

Pmags are about the best mags on the market. The GI issue alum mags aren't bad either, especially if you pay attention to the followers. The old black ones don't do a good job, but you can get new followers and newer mags make the alum mags good to go. Some people like to add the ranger plates to the bottom to make them easier to grab. Also a coupler to "tie" two 30's together is quite useful.

It's very hard to compete with smaller mags needing more mag changes against someone who only has to perhaps make one mag change or even no mag changes depending on the rules. You just can't move as fast while your changing a mag as you can if you don't have to do it.

It doesn't hurt to have a 20, but 30's are your bread and butter. Pmag has been threatening to make 40 rounder, but as yet they have not materialized.

If I had a few more $$ I'd pick up 10-20-30 or more 30 round Pmags as insurance against a future time when they might not be so easy to come by. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a couple extra lowers for the same reason. But that is another topic.

As far as carrying extra mags, take a look at these. http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-AR15-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.110.htm

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs