Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I voted for AOTA, because that is what we do, plus one other thing: our resident range mother will hound us all into providing the labor to do the maintenance, arguing (fairly and legitimately) that is the responsibility of all members to contribute (thanks, Buff).

I'm fine with helping out. But for crying out loud, charge enough dues to make the damned place run. That way we can pay for some of the absolutely necessary work to get done - and it'll get done right.

At our range maintenance is scheduled in a year-based planner which is printed and available on the range or E-mailed to our members. (there's no web-site...yet)

This system works well. We have one 100-m rifle range and one 25-m indoor pistol range and one 50-m indoor range under construction.

Members have a right to know when one of the ranges is closed for maintenance, some of our members have to drive for 50 clicks!

At ours the maintanace schedule is printed on the monthly calendar, mailed, emailed, and posted on the website, and on various club bulletin boards. Sometimes I still forget to check. We also have a 12h work requierment per member per year which can be satisfied by cleanup work, helping at matches, giving blood at the bi-anual drives and so on. You can also buy your way out for something like $15 per hour or so, all due at the end of the year with the yearly dues. Club runs like a charm and at a profit but we have about 500 members.

Vlad