Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Grip Size and Texture

Jonathan Taliani

I'll start by saying I have medium size hands (based on gloves). Somewhat long fingers but very skinny.

I've really come to love the size and feel of the grip on my CZ Shadow. I'm running it with VZ Diamondbacks (very thin). Unfortunately, this now makes my 2011 with a reduced grip and skateboard tape feel like a slippery brick. Are any of the SVI Steel Grips similarly sized and contoured to a CZ with VZ grips?

As for texture, I normally don't do well with Stippled grips (girlie hands) but the Diamondbacks are the perfect texture for me. Very aggressive/grippy but doesn't tear up or hurt my hands AT ALL. I was very surprised about this. With the SVI grips, would any of the Micropore textures fit this bill? I LOVE the appearance of the Micropore grips, but am afraid I may be relegated to Skater Terrain.

does the stippled grips you have tried hurt your hands all over or mainly on the corner of the grip kinda where the side and front meet? Easy way to fix that is to LIGHTLY hit the grip with sand paper to take off just the very tip of the point of the grip. I had one that tore my hand up mainly on the strong hand right at both the nuckels on the corner of the grip. I pass or 2 with sand paper in that area and it feels good, grippy and no longer tears up my hand.

The SV aggressive micro pockets are very aggressive, but your hand will not move on the gun at all. However, if other aggressive grips hurt your hand, the standard micro pockets or the tactical ones may be the answer. I shot SV Cop's skater grip and felt that it was plenty grippy too.

I will say this about the micro pockets: they look great and they are highly functional. I'd look at the standards or the tactical if you're worried about it being too aggressive. It's though to judge over the interwebs though, as aggressive is such a relative term.

does the stippled grips you have tried hurt your hands all over or mainly on the corner of the grip kinda where the side and front meet? Easy way to fix that is to LIGHTLY hit the grip with sand paper to take off just the very tip of the point of the grip. I had one that tore my hand up mainly on the strong hand right at both the nuckels on the corner of the grip. I pass or 2 with sand paper in that area and it feels good, grippy and no longer tears up my hand.

It all depends on the grip for me. I've had some just like you describe where just the corners bother me and I've had others where the entire grip left my hand terribly sensitive and sore after dry and live firing. A lot of people think the Diamondbacks are too aggressive but I haven't ever noticed any irritation. Unlike others, they don't feel like needles to me. The checkering sticks to my hand without feeling like it breaks the skin.

I'll start by saying I have medium size hands (based on gloves). Somewhat long fingers but very skinny.

I've really come to love the size and feel of the grip on my CZ Shadow. I'm running it with VZ Diamondbacks (very thin). Unfortunately, this now makes my 2011 with a reduced grip and skateboard tape feel like a slippery brick. Are any of the SVI Steel Grips similarly sized and contoured to a CZ with VZ grips?

As for texture, I normally don't do well with Stippled grips (girlie hands) but the Diamondbacks are the perfect texture for me. Very aggressive/grippy but doesn't tear up or hurt my hands AT ALL. I was very surprised about this. With the SVI grips, would any of the Micropore textures fit this bill? I LOVE the appearance of the Micropore grips, but am afraid I may be relegated to Skater Terrain.

The Steel Signature grip is the grip that feels most like a CZ. I have fairly small hands and it feels perfect to me. I actually prefer it to any reduced contoured plastic grip I've held along with any single stack grip.

As far as grip texture goes....the aggressive Micropockets are extremely aggressive. They look great too and won't have to be replaced like the grip tape will. With that said, with grip tape, you can choose between 60 and 120 grit and if you choose the 120, you have lots of colors and designs to choose from. And, if you ever get tired/bored with your pistol, you can quickly change that by picking another color/design.

The Steel Signature grip is the grip that feels most like a CZ. I have fairly small hands and it feels perfect to me. I actually prefer it to any reduced contoured plastic grip I've held along with any single stack grip.

As far as grip texture goes....the aggressive Micropockets are extremely aggressive. They look great too and won't have to be replaced like the grip tape will. With that said, with grip tape, you can choose between 60 and 120 grit and if you choose the 120, you have lots of colors and designs to choose from. And, if you ever get tired/bored with your pistol, you can quickly change that by picking another color/design.

Thanks for your feedback Trace! Based on the info I've been receiving, the Signature grip sounds like it would work perfectly for me. Roy Neal was kind enough to offer to let me check out some different SVs if I take a trip up to Michigan, so I'll be able to try out some of the grips first hand.

The signature grip is about as close as you'll get to the CZ. I really like mine. Great ergonomics. I run the aggressive texture micro pockets. They are not for everybody but I love them. I ran aggressively stippled grips on my other guns without problems. Most people that feel mine say they feel a little too sharp for their tastes. Others like them. I think you'll probably like the regular micro pockets. Good grip but without the sharp edges. If you've got the option, try before you buy.