Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insane Primer Assembly Issue

I have a Dillon 650 that I hav loaded about 25k rounds on. All rounds have been 9mm. 3-days ago I felt a lot of resistance in the handle and gave it a push and, of course, caused an issue. A primer entered the rotary disc sideways and my "excessive force" crushed it and bent the Primer Indexing Arm. I'm in the middle of a ton of Sectional matches and had no time to diagnose the issue so I ordered an entirely new primer assembly.

When I installed the new primer assembly and running the handle the rotary disc indexes properly without issue but as soon as I put ANY primers in the tube the "resistance" I felt last time, when I broke the old assembly, has returned. So, having learned my lesson, I stopped and removed the whole assembly and turned it upside down and dumped all the primers into the reloading tray. THey all came out and upon reinstalling the assembly, and not adding primers, the assembly advances as it should. BUT, the second I put primers in it locks up and will not advance. It doesnt matter if I put one primer or 100 primers in the Primer Magazine the rotary disc will not advance.

So, I have a brand new primer assembly and it wont advance one single primer. I don't know what cuased the issue with the original one. I examined the area where the assembly meets the primer platform and it looks normal. I tried primers from three different lots and the issue remains. My table is rock solid. The assembly is mounted securely. It just will not advance one single primer.

I had the exact same issue on my OLD 650 last week. Turns out one of the sideways primers put just enough of a gouge in the area of the primer assembly above the rotary disc to cause a primer to flip sideways. Polished it out a my problem disappeared.

I had the exact same issue on my OLD 650 last week. Turns out one of the sideways primers put just enough of a gouge in the area of the primer assembly above the rotary disc to cause a primer to flip sideways. Polished it out a my problem disappeared.

That would make sense if I was having the same issue with the old assembly but I bought an entirely new, complete, primer assembly and am having this issue.

Maybe there is a slight burr there? I took mine off several times before I saw the ever-so-slight gouge. Definitely maddening to have it work flawlessly with no primers then drop a few in there and have it lock up! Hope you find the problem soon!