Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting brass

trp

Im new to reloading and was wondering what brass if any to stay away from, what to look for to inspect them things like that I just cleaned about 500 rounds this weekend and want to sort threw them any helP would be great!

Some people report problems with various brands of brass some don't. I have yet to identify any particular brand of brass I shoot in 45 ACP that gives consistent problems. I have been reloading for over 30 years so it just may be that I have been lucky.

Steel imported cases are to be avoided.

The primary thing to look for when inspecting cases are splits in the brass and deep dings.

Edited by retarmyaviator

45ACP, watch and sort small and large primers, 40S@W may have a little 357sig, 9mm I spend a little time on sorting to get military cases out because of the swagged primer and case volume. Military cases have a smaller case volume than standard cases. Usually stand 9mm cases on a table so you can see in the case to check for Berdan primers, three small holes instead of one, as well as .380 cases. The .380 cases will be short and easliy spotted. When I pick the cases off the table to be placed in the lube tub look at the primers. If it has a small stamped ring around the primer it's swagged, chunk it. There's plenty of 9mm range brass, it won't hurt to toss a few. Takes a little time but is easier than clearing jams or replacing primer punches. I load on a 650 so cases are placed in a hopper. The machine runs easier if I spend a little time inspecting brass especially 9mm.

Sorting 45ACP, usually done at the range, I've been leaving small primer cases but they are starting to show up more and are usually once fired. May start keeping and loading them.

The three tray sorter speeds up the process and is well worth the money if you deal with range brass. I've been thinking of trying the .380 tray but haven't heard how well it works. I've found the nut picker as a usefull tool in picking up brass.

With all brass check for bent cases, chigger bites on the case mouth, splits or anything that may cause the case to be trash.

45ACP, watch and sort small and large primers,

Very good point, I should have mentioned that since I spent part of the early part of the day sort SP from LP. Loading predominantly 9mm on a 650 I actually prefer the SP 45 since it eliminates the added step of changing out the primer system.