Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rifle mags do you use for Heavy Metal?

Fullauto_Shooter

Magpul 20s have been the only reliable mags I have found. The C products mags have worked pretty good, and the DPMS mags only hold 19.

Not a lot of options out there. I have 1 Higher Capacity 32 round mag and you have to keep your reloads short or it will hang up. XS products 50 round drum looks interesting but I haven't wanted to fork out the cash yet.

Curious to see what others are using???

Doug, the 308 pmags single handedly saved the 308 AR platform from becoming a frustrating piece of equipment. they are by far the only mags to use for a reliable platform.

Trapr

Great feedback Trapr - thanks! Based on what I'd seen most heavy metal guys running at matches, I assumed P-Mags were the way to go - but it's reassuing to get validation from such a good source.

Doug

By a huge margin - P Mags..or if I am feeling Really Froggie (and the stars are aligned JUST right)- some 28 round mags Benny welded up for me.

Thanks Merlin! Quick question, don't most 3-gun matches (majors, at least) limit you to 20rd max for Heavy Metal mags?

Doug

By a huge margin - P Mags..or if I am feeling Really Froggie (and the stars are aligned JUST right)- some 28 round mags Benny welded up for me.

Thanks Merlin! Quick question, don't most 3-gun matches (majors, at least) limit you to 20rd max for Heavy Metal mags?

Doug

Most.....

Doug

Some have a 20 round mag limit, some 20 rounds in the mag and some are open wide. Having a 28/32 rounder gives you the option of loading up if the rules allow it. But they also give you option of monopodding off a bit taller magazine even if you can only put 20 in that big mag.

Doug

Some have a 20 round mag limit, some 20 rounds in the mag and some are open wide. Having a 28/32 rounder gives you the option of loading up if the rules allow it. But they also give you option of monopodding off a bit taller magazine even if you can only put 20 in that big mag.

Chuck - thanks for the explanation. Sounds like having many 20rd mags and a couple higher cap mags may be the way to go.

Pmag with flatland forge extended baseplate for prone shooting. Also makes good starter mag, 21 in the mag and no topping off. They also drop free very well, where I found the c products tended to stick.

Side note: wilderness mag pouches.