Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base Pad question

slavex

hmm ok I just read the other mag question that I didn't see, but I'd still like some clarification here on using non factory parts on my mags that are of the same dimensions as the factory ones.

For those of you Beretta shooters out there, you may know that the Elites come with mags with rubber base pads. Unfortunately those often break, I've gone through about 12 so far this past season, always on inserting the mag in the gun, not when dropping them on the floor. I am just wondering if I was to purchase aluminum base pads that are of the same size and shape as the rubber ones, if they are legal? they are not factory pads, but aftermarket, they do not increase the weight apparently, and as I said are the same overall dimensions as the factory rubber ones. They are also not +2 or anything like that. I've been told many different rulings on this and thought I'd ask here as I couldn't really figure it out by reading the rule book.

Edited by slavex

Not sure about the basepads alone (even if IMHO they should be allowed sice you state that the overall dimensions are the same as factory ones and they do not provide +2 capacity or something like that), but I'd say that if you buy an aftermarket magazine (same tube size of the OFM), and put on it the aluminum pad you should be legal.. :unsure:

20. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:

20.1 Aftermarket magazines which match the external dimensions of standard magazines offered by the OFM for the approved handgun are permitted.

For those of you Beretta shooters out there, you may know that the Elites come with mags with rubber base pads. Unfortunately those often break, I've gone through about 12 so far this past season, always on inserting the mag in the gun, not when dropping them on the floor. I am just wondering if I was to purchase aluminum base pads that are of the same size and shape as the rubber ones, if they are legal?

No, they would not be legal under IPSC Production Division rules.

By proposing to replace the rubber basepads which come fitted to standard OFM supplied magazines with aftermarket aluminium basepads, you are modifying the OFM magazine, and that is not permitted.

On the other hand, if you wanted to use "XYZ Brand" magazines which already include aluminium basepads (or if you wanted to fit aluminium basepads to "XYZ Brand" mags), then that would be acceptable provided the external dimensions of the final assembled aftermarket product is identical to the standard OFM supplied magazines.

I hope this helps.

On the other hand, if you wanted to use "XYZ Brand" magazines which already include aluminium basepads (or if you wanted to fit aluminium basepads to "XYZ Brand" mags), then that would be acceptable provided the external dimensions of the final assembled aftermarket product is identical to the standard OFM supplied magazines.

[Mutley voice on]

Gold star, gold star...I want a gold star... :P:D

[Mutley voice off]

oi! tis a silly thing I think. THough I understand the reasons, I think. Sucks to be a Beretta shooter I guess, as the only mags I've ever had that worked reliably are factory mags. Guess I'll just have to put up with breaking the rubber bottomed ones.

thanks for the link, but I've had nothing but trouble with Mecgars over the years. The only mags that I've had function 100% are factory Beretta Mags. I was asking this question because the base pads provided with the Elites tend to break (so ok that subtracts from the 100% thing sue me). The base pads I bought from BUSA last fall seem to be standing up well, and haven't broken yet, but the previous ones kept breaking. I recently found a company that makes both factory spec thin replacements, as well as thick ones. I was hoping since they are the same as factory that they would be legal, but kinda figured they wouldn't be.

As for previous Mecgar mags, well they wouldn't feed right, would lock in the gun properly, you name it, I had tons of problems with them.