Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sick Rem 1100

Garrett

I very rarely shoot shotgun. (I bought a Saiga 12 a few years ago, test fired it, and put it away. Finally sold it to someone who will actually get some use out of it) Because of this, getting my 1100 really hasn't been much of a priority for several years now. But I've got a 4-gun match coming up that I'd like to have a running shotgun for.

Previously, the gun would run on light loads, but would not feed on heavy loads. I would usually end up with the bolt locked back and a shell on the lifter. The typical fix here is to get a heavier mag spring, and tune the trip on the lifter. I started with the easy fix and got a heavy mag spring, cut it to fit my mag extension, and went to try it out.

I brought some full-powered buckshot and slugs, as well as some #7-1/2 trap/game loads. The gun would generally cycle. At least it was better than before. But it still had some issues. Twice it failed to feed the 3rd round from a fully-loaded gun. I'm not sure if the follower was hanging up where it goes from the extension to the factory mag tube, or something else. I'll have to look into this some more.

But on a couple of instances, the last round in the mag popped half way into the lifter and wedged its self into place. When it does this, the round won't lock back into the mag tube. And it won't pull out onto the lifter. You have to push it into the mag, and then allow the lifter to go up out of the way. Then it feeds just fine after that. The first time it did this, I was cycling the rounds out of the gun by hand while testing for length on the spring. I thought then it was just the rim getting beat up from multiple load / unload cycles. But later it did multiple times it while shooting, as the gun cycled. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's always on the last round in the mag. It happens with the light loads or the heavy loads.

I've got an easyloader gate on the gun that's been there for over a decade with no issues.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking I may just have to put a mag extension on an 870 and shoot the match with that. <_<

IMG_0069.jpg

Also check the carrier. Mine did the same thing and I found that the carrier was worn such that the rims caught on it intermittently - see photos below. The fix is to clean it up with a file, then taper the same area to avoid a recurrence.

11-87DeathJam1.jpg

ShellLifter3.jpg

ShellLifter1.jpg

ShellLifter2.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I had a very similar but different issue with mine this weekend...I haven't resolved it...that's why I'm here looking

I have an easy loader on mine that has worked well since I installed it recently. The only issues I had were it didn't like low recoil buck that I bought and wouldn't cycle them consitantly...with a stock tube/spring...everything else was fine

Finally got my ext tube in from dave's total round capacity is now 10, with one chambered...

I had ordered some s/b low recoil buck to test at 1200fps vs 1150fiochi...seemed fine, then tested some low recoil remington slugs...

next to last round of slug jammed the chamber open and the round was stuck in the tube...everything looks fine, finally fiddled with it enough and it released, I chambered it and it fired...

I am going to clean it and check the snagging part you've shown as well, but mine is stuck in the tube, not half way...

Any ideas with that? My spring is the one that dave sends with the tube for that setup...carrier is dave's red metal one I believe...

I don't know what else to check, but I also have a match coming up this weekend and need some help

Did both of you check your carriers for damage per the photos I posted above? I am not the first person to have this problem, so let me know before I try to troubleshoot any further.

Mine looked okay. No big notch like yours had. I could probably smooth it some, but it's nothing like how yours looked.

And it's odd, it only hangs up like that on the last round.

I cleaned and inspected mine last night..my lifter had a small rough spot, but not like yours either. I filed it and also cut the lifter about 1/2-3/4" off the length...test fire coming soon

Thank you guys for the input

Jason

I cleaned and inspected mine last night..my lifter had a small rough spot, but not like yours either. I filed it and also cut the lifter about 1/2-3/4" off the length...test fire coming soon

Thank you guys for the input

Jason

By "lifter" I hope you mean the EZ Loader (stainless steel part), not the original Remington carrier???

Make sure your magazine springs are stout (replace as necessary) and that the follower is in good shape. I actually prefer the $2 OEM plasatic follower to all the aftermarket followers, but you do have to replace it when it gets chewed up. Also, clean out and then dry the inside of the magazine tube.

did that...my spring is new with this tube, so it should be good to go there...

I'm guessing everyone runs the stock remington action spring in the stock? I've only found one alternate from Wolf that claims it's for lighter loads but no real opinions or reviews if it works or not.

I'm hoping the snag was my problem combined with the ez loader stock length...hope to find out tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this match, 12 stages in two days..and weather in the 80's!