Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice stages

Nightrod

There are no books of practice stages that I know of. However, Steve Anderson's books have all kinds of practice in them. Most of the good books on the sport have "drills".

Most drills will help you run stages. I dare say most guys don't run stages for practice. They will set up specific drills or scenarios and isolate a particular skill set.

As an example, you might set up a wall, pick a starting point, move to end of wall and shoot 2-3 targets. Lots of stuff right there and it's not a stage, just a drill.

Stages are fun though, nothing wrong with setting them up and running them.

Or if you need practice dealing with swingers, you could simply have just the swinger and one or two other targets to transition to or from.

My current nemesis right now is dealing with noshoots covering the lower half of the A zone. Hard cover covering the lower 75% of the A zone, no sweat. Replace the hardcover with a noshoot and only cover just 50%, Alpha-Mike-No Shoot every time. I need to get some practice time to set this up and work on using those stubby things attached to the top of my gun.

Most major matches publish their stages steal them. You can also set up classifiers or versions of them. You can take arrays of targets from major matches and set them up as small stages.

Thanks for all your info. I was just thinking if there's some specific drills or set up to practice my transition usin some of my steel targets.

Took a class with GM Chris Keen. We used a swinger to speed up transitions. Activate swinger, then, how many target can you take before swinger? It was fun.

The swinger drill sounds fun! I'll have to try that.... As soon as I finish my swinger...

To the op, small intensely specific drills make great practice. IMHO way better than bothering to set up a whole stage. Setup the 'Transition Drill' with a shooting box. Set out some steel on either side and you can do draw, exit, entry, on the move, mandatory reloads, weak side movement, leaning, retreating, advancing while reloading, wide transitions, narrow transitions.... It's crazy how much you can practice with just a few targets! I usually focus on one to three specific skills instead of all that though. Kind of crazy to jamm all that into one drill!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my practice is low round count drills. I isolate 2-3 specific skills that need to be worked on and design a drill around that. Don't even need to start holstered.

However, about once a month or every other month, I like to set up a stage that has a lot of options built into it. Run it as many different ways as you can. What I usually find is that there are 2-3 "Good" ways to shoot it and a large handful of "sub-optimal" ways. Really helps on stage breakdown techniques for me, but goes through a lot of ammo.