Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What class should I shoot?

Steve Moneypenny

You could shoot CDP as a Marksman without guilt because that is your classification.

We all know that if a shooter is in the hunt for high CDP and a Master in two other guns, then that shooter really should be up there in CDP. You would be more honest with everyone else and with yourself if you entered higher. I have never seen a shooting game that would not allow you to enter above your current classification.

I think that this thing of having seperate classifications for different guns is kind of silly. For instance, in NRA High Power there are two gun types with huge variation in how easy they are to shoot, but a classification earned is yours, and you compete with it even if this is the first time you ever tried to shoot an M-1 or swing the bolt on a Match Rifle.

Now, I am not saying that we should have the same scale in each gun - the differing scales for each gun seems to work great, but if you earn a classification in one pistol, I feel that it should put you into that class for all of them. The exception would be forcing a classified pistol shooter to compete at that level with a revolver where the skills do not transfer so directly.

So, it really comes down to your own level of integrity. Are you really a Master?

Billski

Billski

To quote Billski: "I think that this thing of having seperate classifications for different guns is kind of silly."

I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. Regardless of the division, I seem to shoot about the same with my CDP .45, my ESP .40, and my SSP Glock. Why multiple classifiers????

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bringing up this older thread because I just found it.

I'm kind of sensitive about this topic. Last year at our state match I took 2nd place Sharpshooter in CDP.

The guy that won was a Master in SSP & ESP. (Glock shooter) He shot a Glock 21 in CDP and beat all of us by an absurd amount of time, as well as every single CDP expert and about half the masters. He had not classified in CDP in something like 5 years.

It was just plain silly to most of the shooters, and pretty darn offensive to those of us in SS.

The guy that won was a Master in SSP & ESP. (Glock shooter) He shot a Glock 21 in CDP and beat all of us by an absurd amount of time, as well as every single CDP expert and about half the masters. ....

It was just plain silly to most of the shooters, and pretty darn offensive to those of us in SS.

Often wonder why some folks will shrink that low for a piece of tin. Guess it's to compensate for something missing in their lives. Dunno.

Ted

Thought i posted an update. but apparently not

picked up 45. shot a few rounds a couple times. then for my first practice scession i set up the classifier. My splits were attrocious, (.30 even on close targets) but other things (draws reloads etc) kept my time to 85.## this with 190 PF ammo. with my 170 PF 40 i shot it in the mid 70's

I signed up for the indianna state match and NC state match in CDP Master. i feel if i could do that even if it was practice, that i could shoot a match far above expert level.

I shot Area 5 this past weekend and i placed 2nd and 3rd on the states that my gun worked and i didn't totally screw up. so i feel i am well placed, IDPA HQ and the MD's said it was ok so now just to shoot the scores someplace so i can make 4 gun master. lol.

Steve,

You are doing the right and honoralble thing ! :)

The guy Corria was talking about is nothing but a total JERK :angry:

More people will respect you and say good things about you for doing this and that is a good thing. :D

The a$$ mentioned above now has to live with his actions and all the disrespect that comes with it.

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!!

and Good Luck !

(if you want to shoot another one come to Corinth MS. in November and shoot the MS State IDPA match we ususally get 125+ shooters and this year it is a STI contengecy match) :D

Hopalong/Sam Keen

Thanks Bill :-) that made my day for sure, that and my friend Bob winning ESP. like i told him hopefully it's the first of many!

As it turns out I am very pleased with the way I shot the match that day, I did not really "burn anything down" i just shot solid and tried to stay mistake free, no misses, no shoots or procedurals. my limited flexibility cost me atleast 4 seconds on the stage with the table though. many could kneel and crouch i could not :-/

that was one of the better matches i've shot, great RO's very very friendly, loved that motion detector stage!

still wondering why there is inconsisency some places it's "Champion" 1st 2nd. 3rd. others it's just "1st, 2nd 3rd"

Any ideas?