Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new comp question (timing)

colbyjack

Just took off my rra tactical break. Going to put on a miculek comp. I see the top and bottom, but I'm confused on the 1 o clock. Timing for right hand shooter. Do I put the solid piece between holes turn that to 1 o clock or what do they mean by 1 o clock? Any pictures? Thanks and sorry for the newb question.

I'm sure my zero will be different but I should be close right?

From the right hand shooters perspective, the top center of the comp will be at about 1 o'clock. But, it depends on your hold where, between neutral and maybe 2 where it is tuned for you.

Do I put the solid piece between holes turn that to 1 o clock or what do they mean by 1 o clock?

Yes the solid pice between the holes goes at 1.

You may already know but the JM comp has a top and bottom. There is less solid between the holes/slots on the top to provide some push down.

I have seen a few mounted upside down.

David E.

I did a very thourough experiment with clocking the comp, at least with the sjc titan. Dead level was best for me in a typical standing shooting stance.

Any other amount of rotation caused the dot to wiggle laterally. When strait up and down dot goes up and down vertically. It may be different for some other design.

Another thing that I noticed during the test was every time I rotated the comp, the point of impact changed dramatically. Group size was unaffected, but it always hit different. When I cleaned the comp, impact shifted 2 feet, at 100 yards! Still good groups though. FWIW.

The OP is timing a comp without a high pressure chamber (miculek) and one for which a slight clocking may be beneficial depending on the nuetral point of the support hand hold.

The comps that utilize a high pressure chamber (Corvette, Rolling Thunder, SJC, newer JP/Cooley) won't benefit from clocking. They may benefit from tuning (or adding) a top small diameter hole, again depending on the neutral point of the support hand hold. Comps with high pressure chambers really need to have them cleaned often or you can end up with the shifts Kyle saw, or worse, bullet strikes in the comp.