Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light 308 loads

mmosur

I'm looking for any experience with light recoil 308 loads. I'd like to find a recipe for 125 gr bullets to be used for some small competitions as well as for youth hunting. Obviously the particular bullet might be different but I'm looking more for any powder recommendations. The only info I have found for light recoil loads is with h4895. I have plenty of varget if anyone has any experience with this powder. Thanks

Try IMR 8208 and Speer 125gr TNTs. 8208 is a wonderfull powder producing excellent velocity, mild recoil and tight groups. It meters well and is very temp stable. The TNT bullets are exceptionally accurate and can be purchased in bulk boxes for a slightly better price. I've run them out to 400yds with outstanding results.

Try IMR 8208 and Speer 125gr TNTs. 8208 is a wonderfull powder producing excellent velocity, mild recoil and tight groups. It meters well and is very temp stable. The TNT bullets are exceptionally accurate and can be purchased in bulk boxes for a slightly better price. I've run them out to 400yds with outstanding results.

Around what amount of 8208 are you finding works well? I didn't have much luck with it for .223 and still have 8lbs. Any suggestions for primers also as this will be my first go around with loading .308? Congrats on your lrp-07.

thank you

I'll probably start with 4895 as I've read elsewhere now that it does well with reduced charges. I'll report back with the results.

Mmosur,

When I contacted Hodgden/IMR about reduced loads with Barnes bullets, they said to only use the H4895, not the IMR 4895. There is a difference in the powder performance.

I'm glad you made that point. I should have been more specific in my post. My understanding is the H and IMR powders despite having the same number labels are quite different. I think that is unfortunate as I think it could lead to errors. I use imr 4831 for my 270 and I have to be careful I don't use h4831 data.

• 2 weeks later...

There are reduced 308 CAST loads in the Lee book.

I have succesfully run Varget at 32gr under a 168gr cast boolit in my 30-06. i got 1650fps and 6" groups at 200yds.

Titegroup will also make reduced loads. There are published loads for TG in 308, along with Trail boss.

Seat a 110gr M1 carbine bullet and launch it with Varget at around 1500fps. Varget is not prone to the (unproven) detonation that people hear so much about.