Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos drop in trigger kit?

My kids bought me a Brazos drop in trigger kit for my B day :cheers: So I did what any good dad would do, I set about installing it into my 9mm Eagle. The thumb safety had to have a pretty significant amount of material removed in order to go into the frame. I got that hurdle crossed and all was well the safety functioned perfectly. The trigger is extremely light I am guessing right around 1 pound. It also has a couple weird things. I already know the "don't ever mess with the trigger stuff" and the "get a gunsmith" advise so lets skip that part and go right to helping me figure out whats up.

1st, testing the reset. I pull the trigger and drop the hammer, keep the trigger pulled and start to cycle the slide. As soon as the slide moves, maybe .010 or so the trigger moves further back maybe like .020. none of my other guns does this. I cant isolate what is happening here. It has to be related to the thumb safety because it does not do this when the safety is not installed.

2nd, When I dry fire the gun the thumb safety moves. I think the thumb safety is as tight as it can be and still go into the hole. I spent a good 30 minutes going 1 stroke at a time with the file until it fit. It goes in easily, in fact I was suprised because 1 stroke before it would no go in at all and 1 more stroke and it went right in.

Any ideas on these things?

There are three points on the stud on the thumb safety. The bottom one is the one to adjust for sear contact. Take a little off the middle point. Put the safety in the gun without the plunder and without the grip safety. Safety in the off position and pull the trigger all the way to the rear while holding the hammer. Rock the hammer back and forth while holding the trigger to the rear. The safety should not move. If it does take a little more off the middle point. It should not take much to get to where there is no motion of the safety. If you look in from the back with the grip safety off you will be able to see the area of contact. I would tell you to call me and I would walk you through it but all 4 of our phone lines are out right now. (Not happy about that.)

There are three points on the stud on the thumb safety. The bottom one is the one to adjust for sear contact. Take a little off the middle point. Put the safety in the gun without the plunder and without the grip safety. Safety in the off position and pull the trigger all the way to the rear while holding the hammer. Rock the hammer back and forth while holding the trigger to the rear. The safety should not move. If it does take a little more off the middle point. It should not take much to get to where there is no motion of the safety. If you look in from the back with the grip safety off you will be able to see the area of contact. I would tell you to call me and I would walk you through it but all 4 of our phone lines are out right now. (Not happy about that.)

I don't blame you, the phone company never seems to feel it is as important to get our service restored as I think it is when we have issues. That being said, It is 6 pm on Sunday and you are still here to help me! Thank you that kind of support is unheard of. :cheers: Heading off to file a little on the middle point.

Just rocking the hammer does not cause the trigger to move back the twenty thousandths or so that it moves, any thought on that? I have to move the slide for it to happen. I know it is in the safety because like I said, id does not do this when the safety is not installed

Sounds like it is rubbing the disconnector. Set your overtravel without the safety in then get the safety fixed and then work from there. If the overtravel changes with the safety in you are still getting contact with the middle lobe on the safety.