Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight advice (black sights on black steel)

cjs

So I shot my third match ever this past weekend. I'm using an M&P I picked up used, and decided during the last match that I hated the cheap, uneven fiber optic that the previous owner had put on it, so I invested in a set of Sevigny Competition Sights. The results showed...the first stage, my accuracy dramatically improved from the previous match (speed, not so much, but I can't complain for having only put 6 rounds with the new sights before the match to make sure I'd installed them properly).

So accuracy was great through the match until...my turn to be first on a stage with freshly painted black steel. I simply couldn't see the all-black front sight well enough to get the hits quickly on the steel.

So overall, I love the sights, but would like to boost the contrast a bit, particularly on the top of the front sight. Does anyone offer an option where something like the top serration is a different, brighter color? I'm toying with the idea of trying to paint it myself to see how I like it.

I shoot a black front sight and love it in every situation except when someone has the bad idea of painting the steel black.

It is the equivalent of an open shooter trying to shoot steel that is painted red.

Not sure if this is applicable but...my front sight is ramped so it catches light differently that the flat rear sight thus creating some contrast. My front sight is actually installed backward as the "front" has more slope.

Black targets are a complete PITA. I see no reason to paint shoot targets black. It's a very rare thing and I'm not so sure it's legal in USPSA, definitely not in IDPA IMO as back indicated hardcover.

Furthermore- painting targets black or red are complete dick moves just to F certain shooters... never a good idea IMO.

Edited by lugnut

Hmm, paint pens are a good idea, more obvious, and much easier than anything else I'd come up with. I think I'll try just hitting the top serration to see how that works.

Meanwhile, maybe I should grab a can of red paint to bring along as the guys who set things up are all open shooters :devil:

Thought I'd chime back in here. Based on the suggestions here, I highlighted the top two serrations on the front sight with a silver Sharpie, and the top edge of the rear sight. I think I like having the top edges of the sights stand out a bit (haven't ever seen this option commercially though and am wondering why). It blends in when sighting in on lighter colored targets (so it has the same picture as the plain black sights), but get to a darker background and those touched-up edges really pop out...exactly what I was hoping for.

Of course with my luck, Wal-Mart will have had a sale on silver paint (or they'll just strip down the steel).

I used a little orange finger nail polish on my CZ82. I could be a little brighter though. I like FO front sights the best. I put a set on my Glock 35. An STI that I owned already had one installed. For my eyes the FO sights help me to pick up targets faster.

I started shooting competition about 30 or so years ago, shooting PPC. All the targets were black and we use to use a carbide lighter on our sights to make them flat black. Never had any problem with the black on black!

This carried over to my shooting pins, steel, and IPSC. I don't use the lighter anymore but still use stock black front and rear sights.

Edited by NMWDC