Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Pistol Sight Zero for 9mm

PPGMD

What is the best distance to zero for the normal Action Pistol events?

I used a 50 yard zero for the matches this year, and but I think that had something to do with my rounds going high on the plates.

I've thought about using a 25 yard zero for every match but the practical, but I am not sure if that would work out. At the regional, and localish matches I don't think that would work out as they aren't multiday events.

Any tips from the more experienced shooters?

I'll be shooting a 115gr 9mm being pushed out at around 1,100-1,150 fps (depending on which gun goes to the cup).

What kind of gun are we talking about here? Open, Metallic or Production.

Open is zeroed at 50.

In Metallic I use an Aristocrat sight. Position 1 is set for 10 yards. Position 2 is set for 15, 20, and 25. Position 3 is set for 35 and 50.

My Production gun is set for 50. I just use different holds at the different yard lines. Keep good notes and know where to hold during different lighting conditions.

With that velocity, try a 25 yard zero. Then see where your rounds land at 50, while actually practicing the course of fire (not zeroing of a bench). I naturally tended to shoot (while shotting the course of fire) a bit high at 50, so a 25 yard zero worked fine for me.

Or you might try a 35 yard zero, and see where that lands you at 25 and 50.

But whatever you decide on, allow it to be the best compromise you figured out for yourself.

be