Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP

The Donald

I need to change the action spring in my SLP. I have it completely field stripped, but can not see how to get the spring out of the stock.

Thanks

The Donald

Only took me 15secs to find with the search function. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110970

Here you go:

first do a regular field strip (barrel, bolt, trigger group, etc.). Then remove the recoil pad with a Philips head screwdriver (you should see two faint marks in the rubber). You should now be able to see the rear of the action spring assembly. Use a 3/4" socket to remove the retaining nut. Behind that is a spacer and a metal plate which should fall out, but may require some gentle coercing. At this point, the stock should come off.

You'll now have the receiver and action tube. Here's where it gets a little tricky since the remaining parts are under spring pressure (you might want to secure the receiver in a padded vise). There's a single roll pin holding it all together. Relieve pressure on the roll pin using a small flathead screwdriver to push the rear of the action spring in slightly. While doing that, push the roll pin out using a punch. The action spring will now want to come out. Try to use a rag or something to ease it out.

The spring will most likely be gross and disgusting. I cleaned the spring tube like I would a bore (scrubbed, then CLP). I wiped down the spring and sprayed it with CLP. Before reassembly, I used some aerosol lithium grease to lube the inside of the tube as well as the spring, and then reassembled.

Hardest part was finding the 2 screws for the butt pad. The rest of the job was real easy. I will see how it runs now, if not will replace with the Browning spring and heavy piston.

Thanks for the help.

The action spring is commonly overlooked for cleaning and is also a common failure point on the SLP. It takes a while to get it done, but if you do it once a year the action will stay nice and smooth. Instead of oil, I use some DOW 33 dry grease to keep things a bit less crudy.

Edited by co-exprs

• 2 weeks later...

Try replacing the standard spring with the Browning Gold spring, then run it with the heavy piston. It will run anything.

Just change out and followed your advice, runs great.

Thanks