Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to feed with Versa Max

michael1778

Dear Friends, I need some help from more experienced shotgunners than myself.

Last Saturday (7th) I had two failures to feed in my Versa Max. Both failures on a stage with slugs. The failures were identical.

Ammo was Winchester Super-X slugs. 1oz, full power, 15 rounds per box.

During the course of shooting a few plates with the slugs I had two failures to feed. In each case (separated by one successful cycle), the new shell was sitting on the lifter when I pulled the bolt back to cycle the action again and inspect for what was going on. Also, in both cases, the cycle of the bolt brought the new round into the chamber and I could continue.

Only failures I've had with anything at any time on my Versa Max.

Was the gun dirty and making the lifter stick? Is this type of failure indicative of something else? I don't know enough about shotguns to diagnose this. Thanks!

Do you have a welded carrier? If so, it may be imperfectly adjusted causing the shell to catch on the sharp right side of the barrel. This is a known issue with the VM/Benelli/SLP design when using a welded carrier/lifter. Look closely at the shell and see if the nose is shaved slightly.

I have been having similar problems with mine since installing a new C-RUMs carrier. I didn't have the problem with my ugly home-welded carrier, so I'm sending it back to Jeff to have it checked out. As each one is apparently made by hand, its not soo surprising that every now and then one can slip out that is not quite right.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Mine was welded by Jeff's shop, also. Upon failure, the bolt was closed with the new shell underneath on the lifter. I was never able to find the spent casings since it was in the middle of an active match.

Thanks for the info.

Only because I could get access to them easily over-the-counter at a local retailer. And they weren't that expensive at the time. They are slightly longer than my Federal Top Gun birdshot rounds (still listed as 2.75"). I had to slightly widen my FSL carrier for them last month.

They worked well until the July 7th match.

Sounds like the mag spring is a little waek PLUS the gun going backward very hard did'nt let the next shell go back hard enough to trip lifter.

Thank you, Benny.

With complete seriousness, I thank you for your sage advice. I may have cut the spring too short for the physics of what is happening.

My XRAIL should be here shortly and I will see how it shoots then. Plus, I will have a selection of slugs to sample by then.