Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new bullet size

stingerjg

i just got some new bullets from Zero. They are 125gr JHP. I have been shooting Armscore 124gr FMJ over 7.9gr VV N350. How much, if at all, should i back off the charge weight. The armscore bullets are .355" and the Zero's are .356". Im thinking about .2 to .3 gr less to start. The N350 works better when the rounds are loaded hot. I just dont know how much more pressure will be involved with shooting a round that is .001" larger in diameter.

I've used the 125 zero jhps over 7.3 gr N350 - 1.170 oal in 9x19. I get 1330 - 1350 fps out of a 5" barrel. I've gotten similar results from 124 gr MG jhp's. What kinda OAL are you running 7.9 gr with?

i went and double checked my records and thats what im loading them at. 7.9gr VV N350 124gr Armscore FMJ bullet, starline 38SC brass, WSR primers, 1.258"OAl, 5" 1-32 twist Schumann barrel, Brazos comp, 1425fps average, 177.63PF

I used 7.8 N350 and a 124 or 125 @1.240" in 38 Supercomp in my 5" non-ported STI for a 170 PF. I need to run 8 or so in the ported shorty. SS must have too many holes in his barrel or something.

The Armscore bullets gave me a really inconsitant OAL when loaded. I was loading for 1.258" OAL. I would get anywhere between 1.265" to 1.242"OAL. this would be fine for a 45 or 9mm to be that much off, but with 38SC loaded at 177-178PF this isnt really safe. I tried a couple of different seating dies to try to remedy the problem, i even spent the big $$ for a Redding Pro seating die. to no avail. i narrowed it down to the shape of the bullets being nonuniform from bullet to bullet. The armscore bullet will be my new bullet for loading 9mm.

I try to load my 38 sc to 2.450 oal it does fluctuate some, but for the cost of bullets I will deal with it, although I am partial to Armscor, maybe an inconstitant batch? It does happen, I would'nt give up on them. :D

See Ya

Ivan

SCS Vegas

I loaded up 20 rounds yesterday to chrono. I loaded them at 1.250"OAL over 7.7gr VV N350. They were ALOT more consistant in length than the Armscore's were, variation of .002" in OAL. That makes me happy.

Oh well off to the range for some chrono time. I'll post back with my results from chrono.

just got back from the range. Looks like im gonna need to do some more load development. Im thinking that cause the new bullet (.561" long) compared to the old bullet (.597" long), made my PF drop. I did back off the powder charge from 7.9gr to 7.7gr N350. I chrono'd them at 1334fps/ 166PF. Ill kick the charge up to 7.9 or 8.0gr to see where im at. I am aware that i only need to get 165PF for major, but the gun seems to run alot better with the N350 at around 157-180PF

• 4 weeks later...

the armscor fmj heads i used before for 9mm were also inconsistent. the shapes and lengths of the slugs were irregular.

i think they've worked out this problem now as the new heads i got (box of 2000) are more consistent and the weights (declared 124 gr) do not vary so much (123-125gr)