Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking firearms to Canada and back to USA

Hello,

I am going up to compete in the Canadian IPSC Nationals.

I have been to ATF website and downloaded forms ATF-F-5320 and ATF-F-5330 to take the guns in and out of USA.

What other forms do I need to get the guns into and out of Canada?

Is anyone else going up? and if so can you let me know what other information and forms I need to minimise any hassles on the trip.

Thank you for your assistance.

In order to bring the guns back into the US you need a form 4457. It is best if you register each item of value (firearm) on a seperate form IN ADVANCE with customs. The registration is good for life. In order to get the handguns into Canada you will need to get an authorization to transport from the Chief Firearms Office of the Province of where you are taking the guns. The form you need to fax to them is on the internet. You then fax it to them at least 1 month prior to the match and then wait for the ATT. They may want to know your FULL intineray including border crossing location and hotel. When you travel to Canada you will take your guns in a locked box with trigger locks to Canada Customs on your way into Canada. Just tell the person at the border you have handguns and they will tell you what to do. Show them the same form you faxed to the CFO so they can check the serial numbers. They will inspect them while you sit in your car. After they do so, take the form, ATT, match invitation and $25.00 Canadian into Canada Customs and they will have you sign the form in fron of them and they will stamp the form. 10 round mags only in Canada. Any questions, PM me with a phone number.

ok, first thing i would advise is that you go to the Canadian site and read up on what you need. the link is http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

One thing i will suggest you do is get hold of the Manitoba CFO and get an ATT faxed to you before you arrive in Canada (I am presuming you are going to cross from ND into Manitoba.) the official contact info isManitoba

Chief Firearms Officer

Manitoba and Nunavut

Unit 1, 1680 Ellice Avenue

Winnipeg MB R3H 0Z2

Tel: (204) 984-0715

Fax: (204) 984-0670

you can also call the toll free number and ask to speak to the Manitoba office. the toll free number is +1 (800) 731-4000

Do not buy the line that you can apply for your ATT when you hit the border. The chances of that happening is about the same as winning the lottery. you want all of you paper work on hand when you hit the border and be prepared that neither sides has a clue of what you really need.

Once you get everything figured out (forms-wise) its a good idea to know the rules/regulations yourself.

Just because the paperwork is meant for official use, don't expect customs to know everything (I can say this from experience).

Good Luck at the Nats!!

• 1 month later...

In order to bring the guns back into the US you need a form 4457. It is best if you register each item of value (firearm) on a seperate form IN ADVANCE with customs. The registration is good for life. In order to get the handguns into Canada you will need to get an authorization to transport from the Chief Firearms Office of the Province of where you are taking the guns. The form you need to fax to them is on the internet. You then fax it to them at least 1 month prior to the match and then wait for the ATT. They may want to know your FULL intineray including border crossing location and hotel. When you travel to Canada you will take your guns in a locked box with trigger locks to Canada Customs on your way into Canada. Just tell the person at the border you have handguns and they will tell you what to do. Show them the same form you faxed to the CFO so they can check the serial numbers. They will inspect them while you sit in your car. After they do so, take the form, ATT, match invitation and $25.00 Canadian into Canada Customs and they will have you sign the form in fron of them and they will stamp the form. 10 round mags only in Canada. Any questions, PM me with a phone number.

How do you bring larger capacity mags for open division guns?

Will they allow you to shoot open guns in Canada?

Thanks

Thanks

You don't bring any larger capacity mags into Canada.

Everything is 10 rounds or less, including open division.

Thanks

Mags must be blocked at 10 rounds. It is Open-10. Teaches you to break down a stage like a USA Production Shooters. Read teh IPSC rules also. There are differences.

• 2 weeks later...