Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 - Cases not dropping

I have an issue with my 650. I am still new to reloading and the press. I have loaded around 5,000 rounds of 45 only. I have never done any adjustments to the press or caliber conversions. I last loaded about 500 rounds a week ago and I didn’t have any issues. I sat down today and I could not get a case to fall from the feeder tube. The arm that moves back and forth with the red plastic adapter in it will not quite move far enough to allow the case to drop. There is not anything apparent to indicate anything blocking the movement. If I push the arm ever so slightly the case will drop. I can not see any way to adjust the distance the arm moves. Nothing is lose, all bolts are tight. Any ideas on what to check? Adjustments? I really don't want to start making adjustment blindly. I included a picture to help describe the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

post-39427-0-30532300-1341883529_thumb.j

Try adjusting the black triangle sort of piece that actuates the case feeder arm when the ram is at the top of it's stroke. There is a set screw on the side that may allow you to move the piece slightly forward. I can go downstairs and get my manual, but I think it should be covered in the owner's manual.

Good luck!

If I could hijack the topic for my own purposes then... I have a similar problem, but the adjustments covered in the manual does not help me, they are all about adjusting the arms movement leftward when the handle is downwards. My problem occurs on the upstroke when the arm is supposed to move back to its default position and let another case drop from the tube. Is there any way to make the arm move further backward, or maybe another insert for the arm that works better.

There is an edge there and that is what the rim gets caught on, if the arm could move more to the right, not the left, then cases could drop more freely but it does not seem like any of the instructions cover that eventuality.

2eek6rp.jpg

I think a possible solution might be some kind of shim inside the case feed adapter might work.

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

Rynnäkökivääri 62,

Be sure the short yellow bushing is pushed down all the way into the pivoting arm. If you push on the arm and it is unable to travel rearward any further, back up the 14326, which is item 4 on the casefeed body assembly exploded drawing. This setscrew is the rearward stop for the pivoting arm.It is also possible that the camming pin, #13371 on the same drawing, is dry where the casefeed arm pivots, and needs to be lightly greased.