Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WOW! A lube die-> lubes cases without handling them

ben b.

I just learned about lube dies, seems great, I am looking at an RCBS lube die to lessen my case prep pain. Any experience with these?

I'm thinking a lube/decap die, then a full-length resize, then a Dillon 1200 case trim die. Then tumble off lube & load.

You have to let it soak a bit before you can use it. I used it a couple of times.

Didn't have patience and did not have enough fore thought to soak it before I wanted to reload.

I went back to just using Dillon(rifle) or Oneshot(9mm) lube. I just spray and mix up the brass and just dump it into the case feeder. I don't really wait for it to dry.

Part of my reloading process is tumbling loaded rounds to jiggle out primers from loose pockets and to get rid of any lube (for cases that get lube from the case feeder).

I've seen and read about them being used. Also if you search you tube, you'll find modifications to include a reservoir to prevent having to refill the lube often.

I wasn't able to find a video like that. Would you be able to post a link?

I have one on my 223 brass processing tool head and it works ok, but is a little finicky.

Cons-

- pain in the but to refill, this actually might be easier if I try putting dillon lube through it since it is a little thinner

- the rcbs decapping rods are junk, they bend easily and don't stay centered in the die.

Pros

- if you pre-lube the cases a little, the die will wipe off any excess lube along with any media, so I helps keep your dies clean.

Overall, it is just way easier to lube the cases in a bowl then put them In the case feeder

Edited by Mbauer67

I have one on my 223 brass processing tool head and it works ok, but is a little finicky.

Cons-

- pain in the but to refill, this actually might be easier if I try putting dillon lube through it since it is a little thinner

- the rcbs decapping rods are junk, they bend easily and don't stay centered in the die.

Pros

- if you pre-lube the cases a little, the die will wipe off any excess lube along with any media, so I helps keep your dies clean.

Overall, it is just way easier to lube the cases in a bowl then put them In the case feeder

So are you looking to get rid of yours for a low price?

I use the lube dies on all the semi auto rifle rounds I shoot. It took some time to adapt to how they work, but I wouldn't load 223/6.5x55/308/30-06 without them now. The RCBS lube is a bit thick, but I got used to that as well. You will get 50 to 100 rounds between topping off the lube, you will get a feel for it. If you are adverse to drilling out stuck cases from your small base die, you'll figure it out quick. I keep meaning to modify the lube die with a larger reservoir, just haven't got around to it. I usually do batches of 3500 and hand lubing that many is just silly and I've had spotty luck with spray lube and small base dies.

Edited by spencerhut

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought one of these, along with a Dillon 1200RT trimmer and a small shop vac and used on about 150 cases last night. Much, much faster case prep. A bit noisy, but that is worth it.