Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Pad

paraman1

I finally got the chance to go out and shoot my Rem. 1100 and found the recoil bearable but after extended shooting (20 rounds reduced recoil slugs and 50 Winchester light #8's) my shoulder is fairly bruised . What recoil pad is everyone using ?? I have never really cared for the slip on ones but havent ever tried the decelerator pads . Are ther any other choices or reccomendations ?? Or should I just live with it ?

The 1100 is the least recoiling shotgun I have so I suspect that you are holding the buttstock slightly away from your shoulder when you shoot. Another thing that will cause heavy recoil is a very tight choke or a short chamber/forcing cone but this shouldn't be a problem in a modern gun like the 1100. I don't think you are shooting shells longer than the gun is chambered for, like a 3" or 3 1/2" in a 2 3/4" or using steel shot in a choke not designed for them but only you know this. Reloads can also lead to problems if they are loaded with excessive powder and/or excessive shot loads.

If all this checks out and you want a gunsmith's advice than I would recommend one which you can screw on yourself rather than have me install it. It is labor intensive and you pay for it. The Truglo Limbsaver is prefit for the 1100 and is about fifty dollars. They also have models for the Benelli, Mossberg 500 and the Winchester 1300. Brownell's sells them.

Stock No. 900-000-020.

If you are poor like most gunsmiths are than get a slip on boot, size small, black or brown, Stock number 690-901-001 from Brownell's is $12.48 plus shipping. They aren't fancy but will work to reduce enough recoil to satisfy most shooters shooting the 1100 Rem. even with heavy loads. I shoot trap something like 200 rounds a day and sometimes when I'm tired I don't hold the buttstock firmly into my shoulder and get a slight bruise. But I'm shooting an Ithaca Trap gun and it kicks more than the pleasant shooting 1100.

Sorry to make this so long, but it is a rainy Sunday and you caught me in a babbling mood.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the length of pull.  This is the distance from the trigger to the end of the stock.  If it's too long, factory is too long for me, you will get beat up.  If your going to add a recoil pad you'll want to remove some stock first to keep the length down.

I have Decelerators on my 870s and a Kick-Eez on my Browning.  Length of pull on the 870s is 12 1/2" and the Browning is 12 3/4".

When I consider the money I spend on ammo, guns and matchs and the limited time I have to train, spending a few bucks to have a pro do the job right is no big deal.  Also the professional smith will be able to advise you on the details and drawbacks of any modifications you request.

Good Luck

Paraman - Recoil pads are OK but they should not considered the only solution compared to good technique.

I used to teach (IPSC SG courses) a lot (less now) and I quickly discovered that I had to work hard on teaching the control of recoil or it could ruin a new shooter's introduction to the sport. We would shoot up to 350 rounds over a 2 day course. It's not particularly about build either - I've seen big guys get hurt and smaller people walk away wondering what the fuss is about.  Someone with a big build may get away with it by accident but good technique is always best.

Using an 1100 back in the early 90s I had one mega training session where in one day I shot just over 800 rounds and only quit because I ran out of ammo and I was kn*ckered.  My shoulder knew it had been shooting but I could have shot more.  My gun at that time had a solid (hard plastic) butt plate.

Don't fight the recoil but control it. Use it. Use it to help move onto the next target.  This assumes you shoot off the right shoulder and shoot left to right.

You should be able to stand with your feet perfectly together and fire double taps with vitually no barrel lift and no rearward movement if you're in control.  If you can do this then think how easy it is to take up a normal stance. I get basic course students doing this after 50 or so rounds even if they've never shot a 12ga before, it gives them great confidence so we can quickly move on to other things. With the gun mounted in your shoulder properly make sure you find good balance over the centre of your feet, and bend the knees.  Then tighten the muscles of your stomach, buttocks and thighs and take the shot.  With some experimentation you should be able to control the movement of the gun to a very minimal amount indeed.

If pulling the gun to your shoulder doesn't work for you try "pushing" the gun towards the target by "driving" it with the shoulder.  

When you can double tap with your feet together and no movement then try standing on one leg and shooting and again experimenting with the muscle groups that help control what you're doing.  Concentrate on keeping the body "quiet". When you can shoot while standing on one leg and without being knocked off balance you should find that you are in control of the recoil and hopefully your problem will have mostly, if not all, gone away.

I hope the above helps.  It's harder to write than to explain when on the range with someone.  Don't let the recoil thing beat you.  It's a pussycat really.