Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 vmax vs 69SMK

steel1212

I'm not a big 3 gunner but I do like to have the best setup that I can for what I do. I probably won't be shooting past 300 yards with my rifle much. A buddy is working up some loads for me and the most accurate he has come up with is a 50gr Vmax load that is .690 for 4 shots with a flier making it 1.2, a black hills loading moly 50 Vmax that was .611 for 4 shots with a flier making it 1.091 and finally a 69SMK load that was .783 4 shots with a flier making it .834 for 5 shots.

I'm torn, I don't know much about rifles, trajectories, ballistics yadda yadda yadda. I just shoot 3 gun as its something else to do with the guys around here on the weekend. Do you think the SMKs would be more consistent down range? Obviously all the groups are good enough for what we do but I'm looking for the best I guess out to 300 or so.

Yeah I'm sure that the 55gr FMJBT will probably be good enough also but like I said as little as I do with 3 gun I want the best. I can load up 1k and be done for the year.

for me it all depends on what you are shooting and what the conditions tend to be like.

If you are shooting targets that use bullet energy to move something to indicate a hit (R&R or MGM rifle targets) I would go with the heavier bullets as the light ones do not move the plate as much making it harder for the shot caller to see the hit.

If where you shoot has much wind I would also go with the heavier bullets as the get moved less by the wind. for paper or targets like Larues go with whatever is most accurate in your gun.

all the loads listed are more than plenty accurate for 3-gun targets.

Mike

I'm not a big 3 gunner but I do like to have the best setup that I can for what I do. I probably won't be shooting past 300 yards with my rifle much. A buddy is working up some loads for me and the most accurate he has come up with is a 50gr Vmax load that is .690 for 4 shots with a flier making it 1.2, a black hills loading moly 50 Vmax that was .611 for 4 shots with a flier making it 1.091 and finally a 69SMK load that was .783 4 shots with a flier making it .834 for 5 shots.

I'm torn, I don't know much about rifles, trajectories, ballistics yadda yadda yadda. I just shoot 3 gun as its something else to do with the guys around here on the weekend. Do you think the SMKs would be more consistent down range? Obviously all the groups are good enough for what we do but I'm looking for the best I guess out to 300 or so.

Yeah I'm sure that the 55gr FMJBT will probably be good enough also but like I said as little as I do with 3 gun I want the best. I can load up 1k and be done for the year.

I'm not sure this will help you, but I shoot the 55g VMax and it has no problem activating steel out to 550 yds. I choose the VMax over the heavier bullets because of its lower cost and excellent accuracy in my rifle.

Steve

I think that the HPBT design is likely to make for the most consistent and accurate bullets, regardless of weight. Plastic tip bullets are good for fragmentation on varmints, but if accuracy on the paper is the primary consideration, the HPBT is the way to go.

That's not to say that both aren't sufficient for your use inside of 300 yards, because they likely are. But the HPBT bullet design is made in such a way that it likely produces the most consistent bullets. Ceterus paribus, the most consistent bullets will produce the most accurate ammo. Few factors, if any, are as important as bullet consistency when it comes to accuracy.

But at 300 yards, it might not make any difference worth debating.

69SMK>60VMAX>77SMK>all others was the order of accuracy in my JP 1:8. There wasnt much difference in the top 3 either.

Was able to get hits on 1-2moa steel out to 500 with the VMAX. I wouldnt hesitate to use it the VMAX one bit. Atlanta Arms has a 60VMAX load that shoots lights out for me as well. So I have a factory option if I don't have time to load.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the SMK will be more consistent down range and has more momentium and energy down there as well. Also you can not base your rifles accuracy off of one group. Fire 5 5 shot groups and measure them and get the average. (including fliers for a true representation of what your rifle is capable of)

Pat