Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty .40

cardboardkiller

Is anyone making one or has anyone used one?

Trying to decide between 38 Super, 38 Super Comp and a .40. I know the .40 kind of fell out after a while for open guns, but has anyone tried it with a shorty?

Does a .40 make enough pressure at the lower PF to even effectively run the comp on a full-size .40 much less a shorty?

Ran a full size .40 in open for the last 12 years. Never had a problem and shooting buddies remarked how flat the gun ran. Use 135gr JHP and it should run just fine. But I would suggest looking at a 9mm making Major. Tradeoffs 9mm will get you 2-3 more rounds per mag. 40 brass is cheap (virtually free) 135 gr JHP run about 80 a 1000. 9mm brass is also cheap (virtually free) 125gr jhp run about 60 per 1000

Mag capacity and bullet cost as, 9MC mentioned, are going to be the big negatives there.

I'm not a big fan of 9mm Major, but understand why folks like it. Heck, not having to pick up brass is great!

A .40 will run fine with lighter bullets. A friend shoots an Open .40, for the simple reason it's one load for two guns (Open & Limited). That's his logic.

I think you'll be better served shooting a 9mm based gun (i.e. .38 Super/Supercomp, or 9 Major).

Rich

Thanks for the input.

I'm kind of up in the air since I load for a .40 and a 38 Super. I've got a lot of 40 brass and bullets and a lot of 38 Super brass and bullets, but I don't have any 38/9 SV mags, but I have .40 SV mags.

I'm leaning towards getting a shorty built, but I may stick with a regular length gun, just depends on if I can find a shorty to shoot.

I'm not to keen on Major 9, blowing up a gun gives me the jitters.

The possibility of blowing up a Major 9 is not any greater than blowing up any other caliber if you pay attention to what you are doing. First there is no way to get a double charge much less ~14 grains of powder in a 9mm case. Be diligent in selecting your components and load away.

Alan

Haveing owned both 40 and super open guns I have to say that the 40 is ok but not as flat as a super. 40 brass is cheap and if you are set up for 40 and have mags that can be a plus. 135 gr 40 bullets are expensive and 155s just dont quite get the job done, better than a limited gun but still not as flat as a super or other 9. I havent shot a short open 40 but I just cant see that it would be as good as a short open 9(super ect). If you really want to shoot open, go with the small bore, the 40 is ok if you just want to chip around the edges. Larry