Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt

Jgsloat

I am switching from shooting a 38 special to 38 short colt for ease of loading in USPSA matches. I plan on buying Starline's 38 short colt. What bullet are most using? I would like to buy bulk from groups like Montanna Gold. I have seen forum post that suggest using a 38 resizing die with 9 mm expanding,bullet seating, and crimping dies. Does this sound right? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

"I have seen forum post that suggest using a 38 resizing die with 9 mm expanding,bullet seating, and crimping dies".

I see something like that, but actually I never tried to use 38 short, but I'm interested know if the 38/357 dies is good for expanding and crimping on a 38 LONG colt brass.

I am switching from shooting a 38 special to 38 short colt for ease of loading in USPSA matches. I plan on buying Starline's 38 short colt. What bullet are most using? I would like to buy bulk from groups like Montanna Gold. I have seen forum post that suggest using a 38 resizing die with 9 mm expanding,bullet seating, and crimping dies. Does this sound right? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Why not just order the 38 short colt die set from Lee? I use them on my 650 and have loaded thousands of rounds with no problem.

I am loading my .38 short colt w/158gr round nose Billy Bullets. I will switch to Bayou bullets when I finish shooting the 4000+ rounds that I have left in stock. I am also using the Lee short colt dies w/seperate taper crimp die.

I assume the bullet is the FMJ in 357. What powder at what weight?

Is this a minor power factor load?

Yes, running 4.0gr universal clays at 1.125" oal with fed spp for a minor load.

I too have been using Short Colts.

Loaded on Dillon 550B.

Stage 1. Dillon 357/38 special resize/deprime die.

Stage 2. Dillon 9mm powder/bell die.

Stage 3. Dillon 9mm seating die .

Stage 4. Dillon 9mm crimping die.

I have not noticed any loss in accuracey, shooting through my S&W 686 revolvers, for IPSC & ICORE Revolver Divisions.

Definately worth the effort with moonclips, the load is faster than 38 special cases. Using Comp III speed loaders, I need to load the Short Colts, long (135LRN) for reliability in loading. 38 Long Colt would be a better option with speed loaders, IMO.

Knowing what I now know & the options with 38 Short Colt & 38 Long Colt, & 38 Special. I would not purchase a 627 in 38 Super, seeking the advantage of a shorter case for loading.

Cheers, Ando.

I found a Lee 38 short colt 3 die set. I used two of them. The shaper/deprimer in position #1 on my Dillon 550B and the seater/crimper in position #3. I used a Dillon powder funnel in 9mm for position #2. And I installed a Lee 38 spl factory crimp die in position #4 to shape the finished round (not crimp).

The final product - 38 short colt starline brass, 160 gn bayou 38 bullet, 3.0 gn VV N320, federal primers, 1.150 OAL

Average velocity: 784

Std Dev: 13

Average power factor: 125.5k

Joe B

Edited by daBear