Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST powder

rinconjoe

looking for more accuracy don't quit under stand major , minor thing.

would like to shoot some future tournaments.

but at 7 yards tight groups inch to inch half then at 15 yard all i can do to hold in in at 8 inches and seems to more low.. any ideas my chronograph today at 90 degree day was 746:

Powder : Winchester WST 40 Cal S&W 1.125" 4.0gr wst 180gr power bond bullets FMJ

Edited by rinconjoe

We need some more details. What pistol are you shooting? Is it a carry pocket pistol or a 6" competition pistol? Are you shooting benched, off of a sandbag or freestyle?

today was benched its Glock 23 just wondering seems most manufactures speed is around 900-950 understand WST is slower velocity powder but fast clean burner ,

I will say after about 2 Pounds of WST and about 4000 rounds I had no miss feeds or miss fires , i am trying so figure out why i cant hit anything smaller than 8 inches at 20 yards seems i am not alone two other who can drill tacks at 20 yrs couldn't do with mine .

we did try ten rounds out of his clock believe 35 and he had tighter groups but still worse with my ammo .

so guess i am wondering with everyone talking about it temperature problems or sensitivity living hear in south wear the temps get 100 with about same humility makes me wonder.

so basically looking for a good clean powder and will measure good in dillion 550B and be accurate loads for 180 grain bullet with a COL 1.125". guess that about raps it up . thanks for replying .

Your slow velocity is probably causing some accuracy issues. Try getting the fps in the 900fps range then test for accuracy. Also keep in mind that WST is inverse temperature sensitive. The hotter the temperature is the slower the velocity. You could probably crono those same rounds in 60 degree temp and end up with a velocity around 800fps.

You also mentioned that WST is a slower "Velocity" powder. That is incorrect. It is a slower "Burning" powder but that fact does not have a direct correlation to how the velocity will turn out.

If you don't like how WST shoots a very good alternative is VV N320.

Just because WST slows down in hot temps does not make it a "Bad" powder to use. All you have to do is account for the velocity loss in hot shooting conditions by using a few tenths of a grain more powder and you will be fine.