Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I looking for?

dbglock35

I just recently got into a Open gun, and trying to find a load. just curious on what are optimal dot characteristics to look for? I'm using a C-More. should the dot go to the top of the glass or go part way? Should the dot snap back to center?

Thanks for any input in advance.

A lot of that is going to be personal preference. I for instance like a really fast gun. Bang, cycles quick and gets back on target quick. Some folks like a smooth push where the dot rolls up, then down smoothly through the cycling of the gun and gets back on target.

Some of this is characteristic of the loads, but more so, the configuration of the gun. My gun has a 4-port hybrid, two side ports through the barrel and a 3 port comp. It's a little loud, but fast, the way I like it.

A friend's gun has no ports, just a 3-4 port comp. He uses a different powder and it's as if there is a big gas ball pushing the bullet out in an even push. That's his preference.

Try a few different guns (although it sounds like you have the gun already) and a few different powders (VV-N350, 3N37, 3N38, N105, IMR7625, HS6, etc.). Too compare bullet weights for all of these (115's, 121's, 124's, 125's, e.g.). I recently switched from 124's to 115's to get my gas volume up and in turn get the gun to cycle faster. I'm getting solid groups, and the gun is running fast at 169 pf. It's all that I can ask.

Good luck!

Rich

Ditto, I don't care what the heck it does, as long as it does it quick and it isn't unreasonable harsh. Your grip will determine the path and return of the dot as much as the comp. I shoot a modified tribrid (some stabilizing holes and the front of the barrel) and I love how it shoots. My buddy has a Brazos SX Pro (i think that's the model) short and light and the dot moves more but returns faster than I can shoot it, it is a sweet setup. Like anything else in this game, getting used to seeing and the equiptment you have makes more of a difference than which doodad you use.

Don't forget some of this could be "technique" or how you grip the gun. I shoot with an Open GM & he (like most of us) want to get the most out of the gun with saving $$$ if can stay away from the cost of exotic powders.

Go to this site for some ideas on loads: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

There's a lot of options...test run a few...best wishes in open gun success. Lot of fun!

If you're just getting started with Open (assuming 38 Super), try a couple different loads to start-- one with 124 grain bullets and a ~7 grain powder like N350 or 7625. Then try one with light bullets (115 or 121) and a ~10 grain powder like N105 or 4756 or AA#?

Those are the 'classic' snappy & quick vs rolling & slower loads.

Don't worry so much about how high or where the dot goes until you get grip and timig down.