Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hybrid Barrel or Bull Barrel with drilled holes

OperationHitFactor

I'm not a machieneist or gun smith but you said 5 guys. I will agree with that. And I would wager Gary Natalie is one of if not top of the list. That guy is amazing with his work. The other that comes to mind a lil less known is Jeff Abernathy. Jeff does my machine and gunsmith work really good guy.

But your right about the holes ect.

I like the Schueman Hybrid better because the gun doesn't get as dirty under the slide unless you cut a large hole or long slot around the ports which doesn't look good in my opinion.

As far has how they shoot, to me all guns are different and its what you're used to shooting that makes a different in your performance.

Since you said that the balance was good between the full size and the commander and the additional metal on the SV barrel's rib would be rear of where the full-size's rib was, I still don't understand why this is an issue. You'll have less reciprocating weight and Dave could undoubtedly run an end or ball mill into the rib to take off some weight if it were that big of an issue for you.

I see molehills. If you really want a midlength, that is.

Since you said that the balance was good between the full size and the commander and the additional metal on the SV barrel's rib would be rear of where the full-size's rib was, I still don't understand why this is an issue. You'll have less reciprocating weight and Dave could undoubtedly run an end or ball mill into the rib to take off some weight if it were that big of an issue for you.

I see molehills. If you really want a midlength, that is.

You're probably right. :roflol: No you are right.

The SV barrel was on the table, I was considering it. Personally, I just have always used Schuemann barrels. I don't know anything about SV barrels and from what I understand the ports are different. I could give it a go, but if it doesn't work, I'll be without a paddle. This is how I ended up creating molehills and kicking tires. Not enough info, so by jumping into a unique build I might get something really special, but if I'm wrong, then it will be an expensive mistake. I decide to go the safe route and go with something I know works. It balances good enough, I'm sure I'll get use to it.

I think your revelation about getting a reasonably flat & soft shooting gun/load with a predictable dot and then getting on with the shooting is right on. After that improvement is about discipline, practice, and the lust to win…if that is your goal. Nothing says you can’t change stuff on the gun after you have shot it for a while, and if that may be a possibility it is a good reason to go with a blued gun over plated. I'm looking forward to your posts after you get the gun, you put a lot of thought into this.

BTW - Dave has done work for me in the past, and is currently working on two projects - one is a new open gun build with a top end similar to what you decided on. Lots to be said for going with someone local. I have faith what he delivers will exceed your expectations. Also, if you want some HS6 to try I can give you a cup or so.

• 2 months later...

Hybrid barrels look amazing in my opinion and they do keep the slide a little cleaner. I have both hybrid and bull barrel guns and the difference in barrel is probably one of the least noticeable in terms of feel. Pick one and shoot it a lot, best way to get a gun with good feel is to get a good feel for the gun.

Hybrid barrels don't come in mid lengths, unless you go with an SV. Problem is that it's a full length rib. However, you just pointed out to me the rib could be lightened a bit. Now you have me thinking... We also need a banana emoticon, because you just earned yourself a banana.

Actually you can get an hybrid barrel in three different rib lengths. 3, 4 or 5 port lengths, with or without holes.

In a 5" (4.5" slide) configuration from SV? Does SV know this?

"Does SV know this?" HEE HEE

Actually I know this to be fact since I am Schuemann Barrels :rolleyes:

I will be offering a tactical line of rib barrels in the next few months to give you guys more options.

Here is my 3 port hybrid with my titanium comp, it shoots extremely flat.

Mike

post-4672-0-62179200-1348779878_thumb.jp