Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 grain lead bullets and win 231 any ideas for a load?

jmyers

• 3 weeks later...

I used to load 200grn. & 220grn. lead bullets with W231 in a Glock 24. OAL between 1.135 & 1.140 depending on bullet manufacturer. However, I don't recommend anything higher than 200grn. This was over 15 years ago though when W231 was not the same formula as it is now & the minimum power factor for major was 175. I used D&J & Black Panther bullets & I don't even think they are even around anymore. 4.4 or 4.5grs. of W231 for the 200grn. D&J at the time. The 220's were from West Coast Bullet. Stopped using the 220grn. in .40 when two of the club shooters had a case blowout with the 220's & they were in 2011's with 1.200COAl. I suggest you start at 3.8grs. & work you're way up very slowly.

Forgot to mention that I use a Bar-Sto barrel that has a very tight chamber & has ample chamber support. My Bar-Sto barrel is also throated where a bullet that is seated high will chamber. Obviously I didn't seat high, but back then it was done to allow different varieties of bullet head shapes. The 200's are soft shooting but now I use 180grn. that I cast myself. These bullet weights were more or less intended for the 10mm.

Edited by Glockman1000

im looking for ideas for a soft shooting load for our glock 35's. using 200 grain lead and win 231 powder

What kind of barrel are you using?

The reason I ask ... even with gas checked lead bullets factory Glock barrels don't like to stabilize ANY lead bullets.

Now, if you're using a KKM, Storm Lake, or Wolf barrel ... then go ahead and fire away. :)

Edited by roostershooter