Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Locking Back?

On my 10mm Match, just about every mag the slide will lock back at random with bullets still left in the mag. Two questions, I think my grip may be the problem. Can any of you post your grip? My right thumb comes real real close to the slide stop with my current grip. Also I'm running an 20lbs spring on a SpringCo Recoil reducer. Could the spring be to heavy? Would it be safe to run an 18lbs spring when I'm running a 165gr moving at 1400fps?

PS: Also running the Henning firing pin block, did it before and after I put the block in. I have since lost the stock block so sending it back to EAA might not be an option unless I get a new block....

Edited by Fahrenheit

Quick test: shoot weak hand only and see if the slide lock problem goes away.

My grip: weak hand thumb points towards the target. My strong hand thumb is on top of my weak hand thumb, between the second and third joints. Neither thumb touches the gun.

That is the spring setup I run with my loads. If your springs were too heavy, it wouldn't lock back at all.

My guess is thumb interference. When my buddy shoots my 10mm, it locks back on him every time..

I run my strong hand thumb on the safety and my weak hand thumb touching the frame in front of the slide lock. I know guys that run the "high thumbs" 1911 grip have the problem you describe.

Probably grip. Keep weak hand thumb pointed at the target, and be sure it is below the slide. I put some grip tape on my frame to make sure my thumb doesn't move up and slow down the slide. You can also grind some material off you slide stop so your hand doesn't touch it.

Finally got out to the range today, of course it was a billion degrees out. Good news is it was my grip. I know point my dominate hands thumb up instead of forward. No more issues! Now if Id just stop flinching so much I might get some decent groups.