Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice What?

Tizzo

I started off comfortable with my first stage (stage 3) then it was all down hill, mikes and forgetting to reload as well as fumbling. I'm now making an effort to practice more, beyond reloads, what do you see that I could improve? Thanks

Vids in order of stage completion.

Edited by Tizzo

Did the RO offer you a reshoot for interference?

Practice going into positions and finding one spot where you can shoot without moving your feet every couple of steps.

Did the RO offer you a reshoot for interference?

Practice going into positions and finding one spot where you can shoot without moving your feet every couple of steps.

I didn't, but I don't recall him really being in the way. It might just look like that on the tape.

I'll throw in my 2cents:

Vid 1) After the start beep, you place your hand on the gun, look at the target then draw and turn. I would suggest after the beep you should snap your head to the first target, this top up rotation will naturally cause your body to rotate towards the target and this is about the time you'll start to want to draw and be already in full extension before the stop. Also seems the targets are a bit behind you so it doesn't appear you could use your peripheral vision to see your first target, so in that situation rather then stirring at the ground, I would twist my head enough were I can place the first target my peripheral vision or if that's not possible, I stare at the clock. See if the RO has a "Tell" before he hits the buzzer,its a bit gamie sure, but you will act faster on a visual indicator then on a sound.

Vid 2) You got caught on 2 flat footed reloads, which the first reload seemed that you only loaded 9 rounds in the mag. Stage planning is key for Production/L10. After the first reload, instead of shooting the two far targets on the move it would probably been better to nail the reload go all the way to the barrels shoot the 2 low targets, the far target and the 1 target through the window, and as your backing up hit your 2nd reload and shoot the 2 on the left while moving backwards, get around the corner shoot the far 2 targets on the move, hit your reload before you get to the barrels then rinse and repeat.

Vid 3) Looks like to me your slapping the hell out of that trigger on your second shots. Again you got caught on a flat footed reload, and stage planning seemed a bit out of wack. It also seems you throw a lot of extra shots. When I shoot a stage the requires you to open a door or prop and you have to shoot through it, I try to make that my last shooting position. So maybe after you cleared the center portion hit your reload and get into that right corner engage the paper and swinger then go through the door. A lot of people might disagree with me, but since you have to break your grip in order to open the door this would be the time I would reload, its a un-natural movement IE going from door nob to belt to gun, but I would weigh it being faster and more productive then doing a unneeded flat footed reload.

Vid 4) Forgetting the reload = bad stage plan. also as your coming into the right side, from my angle it looks like you take the hardest target as your first shot which looks to me to be a distant half cover target but left the closer full size target as your last shot. from the angle of the camera you can't really see if the target is readily available from your angle, but it didn't seem you had to adjust your body to engage it. I would suggest that starting on the easier target first will allow you to settle in your shooting position better and allow you to see your front sight faster for those long shots.

vid 5) Forgetting reload. Also you drop your sight picture after you broke your last thought thinking you were done. (This is something i'm very guilty of specially in SC) DON'T DO THAT. as you saw you missed your target and you looked like you wanted to make up the shot. Treat your last shot like your first, and call every shot.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I was throwing a lot of shots low left, most likely from slapping the trigger. I think when I get wound up and get that "I need to get quicker" feeling I just start putting as many rounds down range as possible.

Vid 3) Looks like to me your slapping the hell out of that trigger on your second shots. Again you got caught on a flat footed reload, and stage planning seemed a bit out of wack. It also seems you throw a lot of extra shots. When I shoot a stage the requires you to open a door or prop and you have to shoot through it, I try to make that my last shooting position. So maybe after you cleared the center portion hit your reload and get into that right corner engage the paper and swinger then go through the door. A lot of people might disagree with me, but since you have to break your grip in order to open the door this would be the time I would reload, its a un-natural movement IE going from door nob to belt to gun, but I would weigh it being faster and more productive then doing a unneeded flat footed reload.

As far as that swinger was concerned, the popper that activated it was through the door... So I had no choice but to take the door first. Being in production, I don't think it would have been wise to just skip the target, as it was not a disappearing target.