Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-3 on the plate rack

ErikW

Today I ran what I think is my first sub-three-second run on the plate rack (6 @ 10 yards, surrender start) with a Limited gun. You might think a Master-classified shooter should be able to do it at will, but with my 1.5 draw to a plate, no way.

I was doing a variation of The Great One's Test, starting over whenever I would miss. Finally, I got ticked off and just stood there running magazine after magazine at 25 yards. Then I stepped up to the 10 yard line, turned off the par time, and let it rip. 3.18 with a 1.55 draw. :( Next, 2.86 with a 1.35 draw. Ta-da!

You have gotta try going from 9 seconds par at 25 yards to comstock at 10 yards. What a kick in the ass. The sight comes off the first plate and then it's like... OH ... MY ... GAWD! It's like somebody said, "Hey, show me a Bill Drill on this barn door." Previously attainable but uncomfortable (hopers) split times (below .30) became comfortable (callable known hits).

I did a 2.60 with a Glock 26 once, but followed it with several that were disgusting. I thought that was good until I saw David Sevigny start at each end alternating toward the middle in 2.20. I can't seem to get a good run with my STI because I start out well and blow it by the last plate because of momentum in acceleration.