Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

damaged yoke, laser welding repaired

Patrick1981

I tig welded mine on my 686 2 years ago. I ran a bead around the the entire piece, then filed it until it would rotate smoothly in the gun.I left it thicker than it was. No problems yet. If I do I'll do it again. My 586 has a different groove.Looks a lot stronger. New ideas are not always the way to go. I've heard of chips on several 686 models, but not on the older ones with the square groove.

Outstanding!

Would it be possible to do the same repair with a TIG welder? Just curious....

I don't know if it's possible, it was the first time i made this job

My opinion laser is more accuracy

Work with a steel hair of 0,2 mm. (0,008 inch)

Patrick - you get extra cool points for using a laser. I know Dr Evil has a laser welder, but no one around here does ;). For whatever reason, my 66-3 has the same yoke design - not conducive to being repeatedly slammed with a speedloader in competition. I've already had the cylinder fly off once with a worn yoke screw and a gouge is present on the yoke, so I'm thinking I'll need to fill gouge (i.e. send it to Warren!) at some point. Thanks for the info.

Will

Yes, I think it's a job that affects many users of aggressive speedloader, with Safariland speedcomp III or Jetloader

But if you reload with switch hand, keeping firmly the cilynder in the weak hand it is unlikely that could happen