Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

budget sites for a G19?

heckofagator

Hi gang,

I was reading some of the GSSF threads and would like to start doing that a bit. I have a G19 which I take to the range every once in a while that has the stock sights on it. From reading in the forum, there are several recommended ways to go, but those seem to be upwards of $75-$100 for a complete front and rear set.

Does anyone have any experience with perhaps a lower priced set that would still improve upon the factory sights?

The Kyle Defoor sights from Ameriglo are very reasonable. Has the same sight ratio as the Sevigny competition sights. Good sight picture, but as I learn to call my shots better I prefer a taller front sight and deeper rear notch for shooting fast. The shorter sight is harder to pickup for fast shooting. No difference for paper punching on the regular range. I shot for awhile with the Defoor, but just switched to the Sevigny. Big difference. Base on my experience I would save up and just buy the Sevigny sights.

If you need to keep cost low. Use the stock front sight and buy the .150 black rear sight alone GL-400:

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights/rear-sights, put in GSSF code for a %15 discount.

Thanks guys - gives me something to think about. When I first looked up the price of the Sevigny set, I was a little bummed as I was hoping to spend less than that. But I guess I'm more about doing this right once rather than doing it in smaller steps twice. Plus, I don't know much much it is to install sights, but I guess if I go with the nice set now, that'll save one install cost from having it do it again later.

Plus I guess I missed the GSSF for this year in my state, so I have some time to save. ;)

I have the Defoor sights on one of my Glocks. I like them and I can pick up on them ok but I think a taller sight might be easier to pick up sometimes....although I have no actual evidence of this. The real problem may be training my eyes. I'm thinking about putting the sevigny set on a different gun for comparison purposes but I want to get out of the habit of throwing hardware at what might be a software problem.

Defoor are the same width (rear notch and front post) as Warren/Sevigny, but they're the same height as factory sights.

I'd look into the Sevigny Carry sights. They're $60 from Brownells and are fine. I have them on my Glock 17 and really like them.

As to installation - gunsmith installation for a sight set into existing notches/dovetails usually is $40-50. You can do these fairly simply though. All you need is a special bit to fit the bolt on the front sight ($5-6 for that) and a brass drift punch. For the front sight you just unscrew the old one and screw in a new one (I'd recommend some blue Loctite on there too to keep it from coming back out). Then chuck the slide down in a padded vise. Drift out the rear sight with the brass punch and drift in the new one. If it seems like it just won't go in then VERY LIGHTLY sand the bottom of the sight, but don't remove too much - it should stil go in tightly.

I have the Defoor sights on one of my Glocks. I like them and I can pick up on them ok but I think a taller sight might be easier to pick up sometimes....although I have no actual evidence of this. The real problem may be training my eyes. I'm thinking about putting the sevigny set on a different gun for comparison purposes but I want to get out of the habit of throwing hardware at what might be a software problem.

+1. Same here. I've owned/shot both in the past and am running the Defoor's on my gun right now, couldn't resist how cheap they were to pick up (think about $40 for the set shipped). They're both good sight sets for sure, but that said, I remember switching from the Defoor's to the Sevigny's felt like a huge upgrade and also can't help feeling like I remember the Sevigny's being faster to pick up. I've also been wondering if it's a software thing... but after a bunch of rounds, I'm pretty convinced it was just me being a cheapskate thing, and wish I had just spent the extra $$$ and picked up the Sevigny's (like I should have in the first place).

^^^ Though, I too have no evidence that the sights being shorter have anything to do with it without running the two sets side-by-side...

I'm with you. I'm thinking about switching these out for the w/s set and then putting this set on a different gun and shooting them side by side. That might be the only true way to tell. I'm going to wait a bit and put some more rounds through these and see if I can adjust. I really need to work on my shooting and I don't know if changing things will help or hinder my efforts.