Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with a load for 185 grain .40

Hollowhandle

I have several boxes of 185 grain moly coated bullets from Precision Bullets out of Kemp, Tx. My Hodgdon book does not have any info for 185. Can I start out with the 180 lead data? I currently have some Titegroup and WST. I am fine getting another powder but i want to make up something to shoot this weekend. I am looking to make a light recoiling practice load for an STI.

Thanks.

5 grains of bullet weight is not going to make much difference in a light practice load. Use something toward the starting side of the 180 grain tables and you should be fine. My minor PF USPSA .40 load is 3.5 grains of Titegroup behind a 180 grain TC lead bullet and ahead of a CCI SP primer. Shoots soft and accurate.

I use 4.8 grains of Universal behind my Precision 185's. to make a 170 PF in my STI. Lyman 49 lists 4.8 as the starting load for the 175's so starting a little below the min listed should be safe.

I seem to recall using around the same charge when I loaded with WSF. Lyman 49 has both Universal and WSF close to the same charge when they list both powders for a bullet.

The bigger thing will be what your OAL will be. Mine is 1.145, you load out to say 1.175 or even 1.185 and PF could drop quite a bit. I will be finding that out later this week when I fire several across the Chrono. One set at the 1.145 I have always used and the other set at 1.175 because I think my STI likes them better at that length. I just need to verify I still make PF with enough cushion.

As others have said, use whatever reliable data to can find for the powders you have and start at the lower end of the range of charge weights. If your data is for jacketed bullets, you will need to back off a little. 5 grains of bullet weight has little meaning at the lower end of the pressure range.

All that said, I run 185's with Solo for major and minor. Start around 3 grns for minor and about 4 for major @ 1.15 in my M&P Pro. You should still have some pressure cushion and you can adjust charges as needed for varying OAL. The longer your OAL, the more powder you are going to need to make a higher PF.

Just ran some development loads last weak with Precision Bullets

4.6gr of WST, 185gr Precision Moly's, 1.19" COAL, 5" STI, making 164ish

4.7gr of WST, 185gr Precision Moly's, 1.19" COAL, 5" STI, making 167-168pf

4.8gr of WST, 185gr Precision Moly's, 1.19" COAL, 5" STI, making 170ish

I settled on 4.7 for my bulk run.

Haven't made any light recoil/practice rounds so don't know how low to go to still cycle reliably.