Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 Firing Pin mushrooming

I have one that I bought in March that now has close to 3500 rounds thru it and the pin has began to mushroom. I called Mossberg and they initially wanted my to send the gun in, I asked for a supervisor and explained the process for swapping it and he agreed it would be the most cost effective to just send me a couple of pins. Kudos to her!

Have any of you guys been looking at you pin, if so have you noticed it mushrooming? I have seen this with 935s in the past, but this is the first 930, even though they use the same pin.

I am specifically interested in the JM Pro and Rhythm series pins, I wonder if they are different like the gas piston and magazine tube?

I also know that if you use Slip 2000 piston and choke cleaner, you will no longer have any finish on your piston, but it will be sparkling clean!

Edited by Orphanedcowboy

I have a 930 turkey and the end of the pin the hammer strikes is mushrooming. It measures .137 compared to .127 where it isn't mushroomed. I think I'm going to get Mossberg to send me a new one but I am going to just watch and keep measuring mine to see if it continues or stays where it is. With as many rounds as some have put through their guns I think it must just mushroom a little and then stop. Also, my firing pin spring had a sharp bend on one end.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I have a 930 turkey and the end of the pin the hammer strikes is mushrooming. It measures .137 compared to .127 where it isn't mushroomed. I think I'm going to get Mossberg to send me a new one but I am going to just watch and keep measuring mine to see if it continues or stays where it is. With as many rounds as some have put through their guns I think it must just mushroom a little and then stop. Also, my firing pin spring had a sharp bend on one end.

David E.

I would think that the pin shouldn't mushroom at all. I have several guns with literally 10's of thousands of rounds that show no signs of wear.

Edited by Orphanedcowboy

I spoke with a CS rep today to get a new firing pin and spring. Bad connection but initially I thought she said it/they were restricted parts, but after some time on hold she said she could send me the pin but not the spring as it was a "restricted part". I am way Pis#$%-off now. While my spring will still work, I would like a new one but can't find a source. Brownells has springs for a 12gs 500 and that's all I have found.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I spoke with a CS rep today to get a new firing pin and spring. Bad connection but initially I thought she said it/they were restricted parts, but after some time on hold she said she could send me the pin but not the spring as it was a "restricted part". I am way Pis#$%-off now. While my spring will still work, I would like a new one but can't find a source. Brownells has springs for a 12gs 500 and that's all I have found.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David E.

930 parts are unobtanium. They have issues making enuf to put into guns. Sad, but true.

While my spring will still work, I would like a new one but can't find a source. Brownell's has springs for a 12gs 500 and that's all I have found.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David E.

I will pull mine and get with several people and see what we can source for it.

Why would the spring be restricted but not the firing pin?

• 1 year later...

OH yeah! Mine started mushrooming after 500 rds.

Look for bolt lug wear as well.

Neither has affected function to my knowledge since I'm still using them.

Look for loose ejector pins as well.

Welded a loose one and a new one(new barrel) right away.

Loose one broke after a few hundred rounds.

Newer one is still going after a few hundred.

Nick