Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seminole Winds Team Match

mlmiller1

Seminole Winds Team Match

West Texas Marksmen are proud to announce our very first team match. The Seminole Winds Team match will be held July 21, 2012. The fee for the team is $100.

The Seminole Winds Team match may well be the most challenging shooting you will ever do. It may also be the most fun you will ever have shooting.

This team match will consist of two man teams, one precision rifle shooter, one carbine shooter, both team members will also carry a pistol & be responsible for a number of pistol targets. The team members will start on a trail at a predetermined time, engaging targets from marked shooting positions. This is a team event so team members will assist each other spotting, calling hits, etc. You will carry all your ammo, snacks, water, etc. with you during the course of the match.

The match will be a timed event with scores for targets hit, & penalties for targets not hit or not engaged. We will have room for 20 teams on Saturday, July 21. If a team is unable to attend the 21st, we will have a FEW slots to shoot with the R.O.s on Saturday, July 14th.

Check the website, www.westtexasmarksmen.com under "upcoming events" or contact Mark Miller, 806-777-1272, mlm5ill9er@yahoo.com or Dale Briscoe, 432-788-4004 for more details!

Edited by mlmiller1

Great! I think you'll have a really fun time. I sent you all the paperwork awhile ago, hope you got them. We have your time reserved. Still have some slots left for anyone else that might want in.

See you in July!

MLM

• 2 months later...

The match was great today. Hot but at least it was dry.

A very challenging set up and a great facility for this type of team match.

My ratings for this match 1 being easy 10 being hard.

Physical 7. Easy trail walking but the need to stay at the top of your shooting wise made this one a lil more difficult than most. Take water with you. Couldn't have made it without.

Pistol 3. Pistol was easy but take at least double just in case. Already loaded in mags cus you have a lot more to worry about than filling pistol mags.

Carbine 10. For typical milspec carbines this one was very hard. Lots of rounds needed and very small targets mixed in. Not beyond capability but you def needed a scope of somesort. A red dot wouldn't have cut it. A few positions were very difficult without a bi pod. And you needed to be able to shoot well prone sitting and standing. And again a higher power scope would have been great a 6x or 8x.

Rifle 7. This one wasn't as difficult as the carbine but required a very close shooter/ spotter relationship. If you rush and get in a hurry you can lose points in a hurry. If you take your time and get hits you can have big points. U gotta know your rifle dope and read the wind correct. This was a 100ish round match and a heavy magnum wouldn't have been a major benefit. Only one target past 550yds.

Overall a great test of a teams skills and working together.

And our RO's Mickey and Justin were top notch.

this was a first for me. i shot carbine. 16" Bushmaster with a 1.1-4X IOR. i shot 69 gr. Sierras. really could have used a 6 or 8X. Landshark is right. it was a tough match. 10 stages in 120 minutes over a mile (+-) natural terrain. targets varied in size and number. rifle targets were orange (not international orange), carbine targets were white and pistol targets were black.(and small). depending on what time of day the team shot the targets were either in the shade of the thick vegetation and brush or in the sun and easily seen. one needed to know rifle, carbine, and pistol zeroes very well. the wind was tricky. it varied from all directions. one could not dawdle and team coordination was essential. partners needed to help each other locate and range targets. it was a challenging match, but doable.

did i mention the sand? no? handgun in holster does not fare well in the sand. (ask me how i know).

will i do it again? you betcha!

:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words fellows. We were all lucky the wind was VERY calm for where we were shooting(thus the name"seminole WINDS"). I think most folks would have done better by their pistols if they wore them back well behind their hip, sort of over their backpockets or on a chest rig of some kind. Laying prone in soft dirt/sand, wiggling around sort of drove the pistols into the dirt.

Glad you guys came & shot our match. As the guy with the mouth, I only saw pieces of most of the teams shooting but I tell you, there are some incredible shooters came to this match. You guys did some unbelievable shooting.

We are talking about doing it again(with some changes) next year if the feedback continues to be positive.

MLM

Big thanks for all that worked so hard putting this match on and ROing. There was lots to keep up with in reguards to scoring especially on the long range targets, each miss counted against you. It was nice to have a match like this so close to home for me only 1.5 hours, usually a quality match of this kind is 4 to 6 hours at least. I am looking forward to next year allready.