Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel bushing fit

Why would a bushing that is so tight that it takes a wrench to get it lose be a good thing? If you have a gun that is that tight is the bushing that tight on the barrel or just where it twists into the slide? I can turn the bushing on my Trojan by hand but I would guess the barrel to bushing fit is around .001 in I would guess the bushing to slide fit is around the same. Not having any issues, just wondering...

It all depends on what your goal is. I've seen some "pet" bullseye guns that were very tight (all over) indeed. And sometimes a bushing is really tight because of poor fitting. Sometimes a bushing is really loose because of poor fitting. It's all subjective. I have one 1911 with a tight fitting bushing, and it's been 100% reliable, and really accurate to boot. I'm not about to change anything on this particular gun.

My Spartan was the same. It was so tight, I could even budge it by hand. Then with the tool, it took some elbow grease to get it off. No problem though, my shoots great and no malfunctions. I have seen the same as Anachronism has. When you rack the slide, do you feel any resistance on the barrel or does it seem to slide smoothly? I am betting it's only "very tight" at the slide fit area.

In a word, mechanical repeatability. I was taught to have very tight bushing to slide fit and a close sliding fit between bushing and barrel at lockup. Barrel fit is much looser during unlocking process. Tight bushing to slide fit removes one source of variability. I think it matters at 50 yards. Not critical at all for 25 yards. Of course that assumes that the hood, link, and link pin are properly fit at the breech end too.

In a word, mechanical repeatability. I was taught to have very tight bushing to slide fit and a close sliding fit between bushing and barrel at lockup. Barrel fit is much looser during unlocking process. Tight bushing to slide fit removes one source of variability. I think it matters at 50 yards. Not critical at all for 25 yards. Of course that assumes that the hood, link, and link pin are properly fit at the breech end too.

I agree. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that it can be difficult to diagnose exactly where a problem lies until you start mucking with things, and the bushing is a good place to start because it's cheap, and if you don't touch your original bushing you can always go back to square one.

My new Springer Mil-Spec had a fairly loose bushing that still managed to interfere very slightly with link-up/down. I fitted an angle-bored bushing tight to slide and slip-fit to barrel, and my link-up/down became smooth as silk. Lock-up is perfect. I guess I got very lucky with the 800 grit paper wrapped around my pinky!