Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Master

Well I got it and I was surprized at how much muzzle jump it had with my standard minor load with tight group and 124 grian MG bullets. I am thinking I need to use a more gassy powder like 4756 and a lighter bullet. I also need to send all the STI mags off for tuning as they don't work. The SVi mags that came with the gun are flawless.

Pat

I run a 95gr MG over 4.3gr of Hodgdon Clays -- very soft shooting (almost like a .22). I also shoot major using 115gr MG CMJ over 8.6gr of Silhoutte -- snappier, but very manageable. I shoot with the light recoilmaster in both. After 3 years and over 23,000 rounds, I still love my Steelmaster;)

How is the dot tracking on that major load. Right now the gun flips more than I am used to for an open gun. The recoil is soft but the dot bounces way up compared to my 38 super comp caspian.

Pat

My Steel Master is one of my favorite open guns. I'm using 5.3 of 7625 and MG 124gr CMJ, I have 8 STI Mags mags that I use in other open guns all with spacers and the all work flawlessly. I just purchased

a NIB old style SV and after some grinding it at least fits in the SM now I'll see how it works. The PF on that load is 134-136

Well I got it and I was surprized at how much muzzle jump it had with my standard minor load with tight group and 124 grian MG bullets. I am thinking I need to use a more gassy powder like 4756 and a lighter bullet. I also need to send all the STI mags off for tuning as they don't work. The SVi mags that came with the gun are flawless.

Pat

Pat

I run a 95gr MG over 4.3gr of Hodgdon Clays -- very soft shooting (almost like a .22). I also shoot major using 115gr MG CMJ over 8.6gr of Silhoutte -- snappier, but very manageable. I shoot with the light recoilmaster in both. After 3 years and over 23,000 rounds, I still love my Steelmaster;)

How is the dot tracking on that major load. Right now the gun flips more than I am used to for an open gun. The recoil is soft but the dot bounces way up compared to my 38 super comp caspian.

Pat

With the major load, the dot stays in glass for me. There is some bounce, but I can still shoot .20 splits with decent accuracy. My grip has to be firmer with major versus when I shoot minor loads.

When shooting static steel as opposed to falling steel do people use the same load or different? I was thinking of going to a 95g bullet for static. I currently use a 124g for falling. If so what's a load you use out of a stock steelmaster with keeping the recoil master ?

What are some more major loads people use as well out of the SM?

Edited by Scootertheshooter

• 4 weeks later...

Ok you did't spin the spinner! Now back to the thread. My good friend that was shooting the steel master gave me a minor load that he used in his. 5.2gr of AutoComp with a 125gr or 5.6gr of AutoComp with 115gr. These come out to about 135pf.

I've shot them in my full size gun and like the feel.

Another friend has Steel Master and uses the alanta arms minor, but I shot the gun and I have to say it is bouncey. He shot some of my 9 major (125gr w/ 7.7gr of Silhouette) and he said it was just a tad more slap and flatter.

My SteeleMaster is giving me fits with stovepipes. I already sent it back once and they did not fix it. I have yet to shoot 50 rds without a SP. I installed an aftec and have been tuning the ejector but still no good. Don't know what I will do. I may have to give in to a different mount. I ordered a Quinn but it did not fit, the scope hit the slide. I guess I will try a Brazos offset, or a different brand 90 degree.

Just my experience,

SR

Cheely makes both a verticle offset as well as a 90 degree and a setback 90 degree. If anyone local has a 90 degree I would see how it indexes for you. If you shoot both iron and a dot the 90 degree is great. I'd it's open only it's not that big a deal

My SteeleMaster is giving me fits with stovepipes. I already sent it back once and they did not fix it. I have yet to shoot 50 rds without a SP. I installed an aftec and have been tuning the ejector but still no good. Don't know what I will do. I may have to give in to a different mount. I ordered a Quinn but it did not fit, the scope hit the slide. I guess I will try a Brazos offset, or a different brand 90 degree.

Just my experience,

SR

You may be whipping the wrong dog. Ejector http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/EGW-Ejector-XL-93840-P329.aspx I run AFTEC and the extended ejector in all 3 of my 9 major guns. I also run the Cheely mount or the old Quinn 1 mount but not due to any problems other than my DotDislephia.

Thanks for the info on the cheely does it work on a round top slide ?

STI installed the extended ejector when I sent it back and I installed an aftec and still no luck. It ejects 95% of the brass about three feet and all in the same pile, I don't think it can get much better than that but the other 5% is what is giving me fits. I don't think it is possible to get every single piece of brass to come out exactly the same, to many variables. For some reason on mine when it hits the scope it knocks it into the port. 9 major will sling the brass a little harder maybe that's the difference. Thanks a lot for the help.

Thanks for the info on the cheely does it work on a round top slide ?

STI installed the extended ejector when I sent it back and I installed an aftec and still no luck. It ejects 95% of the brass about three feet and all in the same pile, I don't think it can get much better than that but the other 5% is what is giving me fits. I don't think it is possible to get every single piece of brass to come out exactly the same, to many variables. For some reason on mine when it hits the scope it knocks it into the port. 9 major will sling the brass a little harder maybe that's the difference. Thanks a lot for the help.

I think it will, but then I cant' say for sure all my slide have been to the butcher. I like the cheely it mounts farther forward leaving the back of the slide open so I can grab it, on those unloaded starts.