Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP! my SX2 died for no reason

Hey all,

After reading everything on here about shotgun mods, I went to town with my pretty stock winchester SX2 and cleaned up the loading gate, lifter, and all that good stuff. While it was apart, I cleaned out everything so it looked good as new. Put it all back together and went out to practice, and that's when it went to hell on me...

So it passed all function tests at home I could think of, loads fine, racks them out fine, etc. With firing, it would almost never strip the hull out to load the next. It would go hard enough to reset the hammer and make the trigger ready. The thing of it is, it wasn't every time. It ran for 2 shells like 3 times out of 30 shells, but never mode than that. It's ammo I haven't had a problem with before, so any help would be great! I have a 3 gun match sunday and only one more trip to the range to get it running right.

What do I do to fix it? And don't say trade it for a Benelli :P

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Hey all,

After reading everything on here about shotgun mods, I went to town with my pretty stock winchester SX2 and cleaned up the loading gate, lifter, and all that good stuff. While it was apart, I cleaned out everything so it looked good as new. Put it all back together and went out to practice, and that's when it went to hell on me...

So it passed all function tests at home I could think of, loads fine, racks them out fine, etc. With firing, it would almost never strip the hull out to load the next. It would go hard enough to reset the hammer and make the trigger ready. The thing of it is, it wasn't every time. It ran for 2 shells like 3 times out of 30 shells, but never mode than that. It's ammo I haven't had a problem with before, so any help would be great! I have a 3 gun match sunday and only one more trip to the range to get it running right.

What do I do to fix it? And don't say trade it for a Benelli :P

Thanks for the help!

Steve

You get this fixed yet?

Take it apart before you go to the range and check it against the schematic. I gotta go with Benny on this, though. Any shotgun will work for one match when new, but if you are going to practice a lot........................

I had the same problem with my SLP when it got dirty. Which piston are you using?

Clean the gun and make sure you get the carbon of the brass ring on the magazine tube. Also, don't lube that area as it attracts carbon that can clog up the gas system. I use a dry brass brush to get it clean. If that doesn't work try a lighter piston. Speed Shooter has a replacement body for the piston that you can adjust, so you can tune it to your gun. I have no experience with it, but it was going to be my next step at curing my SLP woes before I gave in and like everyone else bought an m2.

yeah, I think it was a combo of crappy shells and a dirty gun. I stripped it down again and cleaned all the years of crud off of the pistol, and started running remington shells instead. The only stovepipe I had in 100 some-odd rounds was a winchester shell, same as the other day.

Oh yeah, I got a shoot, load 8, shoot down in 6.something seconds... Maybe I will keep this gun afterall.