Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 75 BTHP and Varget

KTKlaus

I am needing some imput on a Hornady 75 gr HPBT load using Varget. Any field data and experience would be apprieciated. From what I gather there have been some hit and miss reports stating that trying that load either is 1) compressed 2) OAL to achieve maximum efficiency is longer than mag can fit 3) the data some people have are not accurate enough at long distance (>300 yards) due to lower expected velocity.

What I will be running:

AR#1

18" 5.56 1/8 mid length barrel

AR#2

18" Wylde 1/8 mid length barrel

Mags

Surefire 60rd

Brownell 30rd w/ Magpul Followers

Objective is a long range distance accurate load. My main concern is OAL and charge weight. If push comes to shove ill use Varget for my 55s and try another powder, it just Varget is readily available at a local shop and have plenty of too. Also any load data trying any other Hodgdon load (again availablity at shop) would be appreciated.

Edited by KTKlaus

23.5 of Varget behind a Hornady 75 BTHP gives me 2720 fps and ballistics that EXACTLY match 308/168. That is out of a 20-inch Wilson barrel. You've got a little room to bump it up a little to get the required velocity.

The Hornady reloading manual lists 23.5 grains of Varget at 2600 fps, they show it as max load. The COL in the manual for all the 75 BTHPs is 2.250", mag length. They used a 20" barrel for the ballistics.

I shoot 24.1 gr of RL-15 or TAC for 2700 fps (chrony) out of a 20"; that matches the Hornady book. I use it to shoot 500 to 800 yards. It is supposed to perform up to 1000, I don't have that kind of distance. I use the 2.250" COL and have no problems with either GI mags, Brownells or PMags. The RL-15 load was given to me by a Marine Gunnery Sargent who used it to load 75 Hornady and 77 SMK for 1000 yard open site matches (he used Remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers). I never got into the open sights, but it works great for long range. I go a couple of times a year to West Texas, it holds up very well in the wind there.

If you also reload .308, the TAC works well for 5.56 & .308.

Powder listed at 2700 fps max include H 4895, RL-15, WIN 748, BL-C2.

I ran Varget & 75 BTHP in QuickLoad and it estimates anythng over 24 grains going over-pressure for the spec.

The Hornady reloading manual lists 23.5 grains of Varget at 2600 fps, they show it as max load.

Yeah, it's the max load, but you can never really trust the "chrono data" put out by the Manufacturers. Most of them are different than what people see in the real world. An example of that posit is VihtaVouri. They seem to be MUCH more optimistic about the velocity potentials of their powders. Others seem to be consistently low.

the burn rate of Varget varies quite a bit with each Lot. I have seen differences of 50-100 fps easily from keg to keg. I would hodgdon load data as a good starting point but you will have to gauge where your max load is on a individual basis. I know that i have loaded more than 23.5 grs of varget in a 223 case and been fine but if you want to stay within what hodgdon says just go with their data.

Well I did the testing this weekend and this is what I got:

Barrel: 18" 1-8 mid-length 5.56

Temp: 71F

Humidity: 100% (Rained that morning)

Wind/Gust: 0/5-10 Right to Left

Cloud Cover: On/Off

OAL: 2.26

Case: Mixed (PMC/RP primarily) (I actually work at the range I shot at so I get free brass as a RO, can't complain)

Strings were in 5 shot groups. Each string were the averages.

String 1 Average: 2469.6

String 2: 2471.0

String 3: 2487.0

String 4: 2477.8

String 1: 2468.4 (1 Error Reading; Sun was breaking out, shades were not up yet.)

String 2: 2534.75 (1 Error, Shades up but sporadic cloud cover)

String 3: 2529.8

String 4: 2498.8 (1 Error)

String 1: 2528.2

String 2: 2530.8

String 3: 2539.5 (1 Error)

String 4: 2551.4

And no noticeable pressure signs. I may go up to 23.6 and load a small batch next. Unfortunately I chose a rather crappy day to test, for a day like that I like one or two things to happen, be completely sunny all day long, or cloudy, not both on and off.

Afterwards did a small accuracy test from benchrest. 3 Strings of 5 shots at 200yards, best was roughly 2.5" and a slight 1" high POI compared to 55s, so I dont have to hold over too much when running different loads in a stage.

Edited by KTKlaus