Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Deltapoint losing windage zero and stripped set screw

Tactica

Question:

=========

Has anyone come up with a better solution for these set screws on the Leupold deltapoint?

Idea:

=====

It seems that a longer screw with an external and larger tool head would avoid the stripping.

My Backstory on this sight:

===========================

I picked up my Open gun from the Gunsmith in Feb and have been having a great time with it. Love the divison and I'm starting to be competitive in my class. I've gotten used to the triangle and have gotten pretty comfortable with indexing it from the draw. The only problem I've been fighting is my Leupold Deltapoint 7.5 MOA sight to keep zero.

When working up a major load and then later a minor load (steel), I had to adjust the sight several times.

I noticed that the sight has been losing zero after 2-3 matches as well. I called support and they sent me some new set screws. The replacement set screws had some kind of yellow compound on them which I assumed was to hold the screws in better. Screws held great... and had my first two matches after the replacement last weekend. The gun ran great, and I was successful in the results, so I was optimistic that the screws were doing well, until last night...

Before a league shoot last night at a local indoor club, I pulled out the new blaster to do some group shooting from bench, just to make sure all was good. It was not. I could still hit the A zone at 10 yards, but at 20 yards my group was shifting right again spliting the A / C zone about 40/60. I tried to quickly make and adjustment before the match, but the set screw holding the windage adjustment stripped just as I tried to loosen... so ran with it as is and made adjustments on longer range targets.

I met a gentlment from Leupold in Tech Service/Custom Shop Representative at the NRA convention recently. He had plenty of familiarity with the sight and had some ideas about what might be going on. I had planned to contact him after the season was over, as I don't have a backup Open gun. He was going to take a look at the sight personally to troubleshoot and either completely overhaul it or replace it. However, with the latest development, I reached out to him today, and he is going to expedite a ticket for me to get this thing in and replaced ASAP. With any luck, I'll have it turned around in a week or two... so, that's good... but all this backstory leads me to the current question.

Hopefully the new sight doesn't lose windage zero... I'm sure something is wrong with my sight... however, the set screws on this sight stink. I'm really hoping there is an alternative to using these factory screws. Any thoughts much appreciated.

... worst case, I guess I could go to a Cmore STS, I heard the bolt patter for mounting the thing is the same... but that's another $400 and getting used to another sight. I do really like the Leupold if I can get this set screw issue resolved.

Cheers,

Yeah, I stripped mine out also and had to send back the entire unit. They replaced them free and it's working good but I'm scared to touch it now that it's dialed in. One of my buddies that has one too suggested getting a good tool that will make the adjustments and not using the one that is included in the box...

1335551511[/url]' post='1692325']

...One of my buddies that has one too suggested getting a good tool that will make the adjustments and not using the one that is included in the box...

I read about the stripped set screws before I got my DP, so I got a Torx driver set from Home Depot. It has worked well. I've been switching from .22lr to 38sc and from frame mount to slide mount. No problems with losing zero yet or stripping the screws.

I also put some masking tape on the Torx wrench so I could mark a line to help determine how much I turned the w/e screws. Made zeroing the gun much easier.

Yeah, what GDboy said. Best thing you can do is chuck that horrible thing they call a wrench away and get a quality Torx driver at HD. You will be amazed how much easier it is to adjust the DP with that.

Yeah, what GDboy said. Best thing you can do is chuck that horrible thing they call a wrench away and get a quality Torx driver at HD. You will be amazed how much easier it is to adjust the DP with that.

Thank you all, I'll be investing in a quality Torx driver tonight. The masking tape trick sounds handy as well. I'm glad to hear others are not having a loss of zero on this site, that's promising at least.

Since the set screws should not need to be turned to much, it would be helpful if they just improved this system with different tooled screws... seems like a great opportunity for one of you innovative after market modification types... :)

Cheers,