Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 expander

Erik,

Sorry for the drift...and it may not apply anyway...but, I took my 650 partly apart the other day for some cleaning. When I put it back together, the cases were sticking a bit on the expander. I just tightened down the shell plate a bit...taking out that play made the problem go away.

One advantage to the design of the 1050/Super 1050 is that the expanding and flaring are separated into two separate steps. You expand the case at the swage station, with the swage backup die. The powder measure funnel merely functions to flare the case mouth. The expander is being pulled out at the beginning of the upstroke, where the machine has the most mechanical advantage. The 650 pulls the expander/flaring funnel out partway through the upstroke, where there is less mechanical leverage.

New brass tends to stick more on the funnel, for a couple of reasons. First, the brass goes through a solvent rinse, and the case interiors are bone dry. A fired piece of brass at least has some carbon to act as lube. next, new brass tends to have little dings and dents in the case mouth, plus the brass is rough from the manufacturing process. After one firing, the interior of the case is ironed out, and a lite coating of carbon magically appears.