Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to dial in Trijicon TR24

steviesterno

Hey all,

I thought I had this down, but a recent abomination of a stage has me thinking otherwise. How should I dial in my TR24? Right now, I have it so the tip of the ^ hits dead center at 50 yards with 55gn 223 out of a 16" barrel. At 200 yards I held exactly the same and couldn't hit a thing! What Should i do to dial it in and not suck so much?

Should I try for a 12 o clock hold rather than a 6? The targets around here are and will be 8" steel, and not much farther than 200 yards. Please help me out, I'm a scope noob!

Hey all,

I thought I had this down, but a recent abomination of a stage has me thinking otherwise. How should I dial in my TR24? Right now, I have it so the tip of the ^ hits dead center at 50 yards with 55gn 223 out of a 16" barrel. At 200 yards I held exactly the same and couldn't hit a thing! What Should i do to dial it in and not suck so much?

Should I try for a 12 o clock hold rather than a 6? The targets around here are and will be 8" steel, and not much farther than 200 yards. Please help me out, I'm a scope noob!

I prefer a 6 o'clock hold, so that you aren't obscuring your targets with your reticle. I usually shoot irons and I always utilize a 6 o'clock hold. I built an optics upper for the Pro-Am, and I'm using a 400 yard zero with the 400 yard hash mark, because that gets me +- 2 inches out to 500 yards with the BDC and my 75gr handloads. It takes practice and experimentation to find the proper zero for your purposes/rifle/ammo/optic. With the TR24, in my opinion, the 6 o'clock hold with a 200 or 300 yard zero is probably the way to go depending on how far you expect to shoot. The lack of a BDC on the Accupoints makes shooting at longer ranges... tricky.

It is unwise to zero at 50 yards and expect to be on at longer ranges, without confirming zero. If I want a 300 yard zero on my irons rifle, I would never zero at the closer 'first zero' given by my ballistics calculator, and then not extend out and check where I am hitting at 100, 200, 300, etc. You MUST confirm your long range zero, or you are asking for failure.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Ah, I know it's not the best to shoot to 50 and assume that I will be on at 200. However, my local range only has a 100 yard lane. Is there a way to check a 200 yard hit st 100 yards?

Also, is it ever wise to use the knobs on the scope or just hold over if need be?

I run an AR with a TR24 triangle reticule, and am also limited to 100yrds at my home range. Here's my zero procedure prior to a match with long range shots:

*Zero at 50 yards (a GOOD zero from a rest)

*Chronograph my load

*Use a good ballistics calculator(like JBM )

*Shoot some test groups at various distances 50,75,100yards using various zeros dialed into the scope based on the calculator and confirm I'm as high or low as the calculator says I should be for a specific zero at those ranges.

Not a perfect system, but you've gotta work with what you've got. I've had no problems hitting MGM Flashers at 400 with my improvised zero confirmation.

As for holding over or dialing in, depends on the range and number of targets. As much as I like the TR24 I find the reticule tough to hold over with past 300yrds.

If a stage has multiple targets at or past that range I'd probable dial in.

Ah, I know it's not the best to shoot to 50 and assume that I will be on at 200. However, my local range only has a 100 yard lane. Is there a way to check a 200 yard hit st 100 yards?

Also, is it ever wise to use the knobs on the scope or just hold over if need be?

With irons I usually try to find a zero that will allow me to know my holds and not click. Exception being an array of targets at a known, extended, distance. I like a 300 yard zero. If I recall correctly that leaves me half an inch low at 50, +4 at 100, +5 at 200, on at 300.

Pretty simple for most targets.

As for your range issue... ick. Try to make friends with a landowner. :cheers: Otherwise, the ballistics calculator and shooting to confirm as best you can is probably the best you can do.

I run the TR24. I zero 2 inches high at 100rds. I never mess with the dials during the match. Learn your holdovers and and practice them. If you don't have a range that will let you shoot past 100, talk to the match director and see if you can practice on the stage before or after the match.

Steve - Stop whining, lol. We can get you on a 200 yard range. There's a couple things you need to do. First, actually shoot at 200 yards, but wait until after the Colt 3M3G, I don't want you to practice more. 2nd is to know your point of impact (poi) for a variety of positions & distances. Then get a feel for what different size targets look like in your scope for different distances. Paper plates are good for this. Then you can more accurately use your triangle to hold over or under if you need to because you'll be able to say, "I know my triangle is "X"-inches at 200 yds." And then you'll think, "Wow, I should buy Mike a beer".